Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Conveyor Belt Sushi in Toyko? 2011/8/27 01:17
I'm going to Tokyo in about a week and I want to visit a kaitenzushi place with my friend.

Do you know a good place? The price isn't that important, but the more extraordinary it is the better.

If for example it has drinks dispensers at the table, a button to call up the waiters, anything you won't find outside of Japan (I think), that'd be perfect.

Usually I like the simple places, but I just want to find something really touristy to wow my friend.
by Tanne (guest)  

In asakusa 2011/8/27 16:37
There's a place called Maguro Bito in the Asakusa district in Tokyo. Please keep in mind that at some kaiten sushi places, the sushi on the belt could not be up for grabs as they're either for show or meant for a customer who ordered something. However, they're other places that will allow you to just take the sushi off without ordering. There was a previous thread regarding this topic as I do recommend you to check it out. To be safe, I would order from the chef directly; you won't be bothering him. Maguro Bito, as implied in their name, is well known fir their tuna. There's even a special plate you can order where you can sample three cuts if tuna: Maguro, chu-toro, and o-toro. It's a very popular kaitenzushi restaurant.
by rsxguy04 rate this post as useful

Could you explain please 2011/8/28 03:27
rsxguy04. How would you know if something on the conveyor had been ordered by someone else?
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

To Stan and OP 2011/8/28 08:52
Hi, here's the link to the thread I mentioned in my previous post: http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+83100 .

To Stan - from what was mentioned in the link I just posted, people mentioned how the sushi on the belt came with a flag. To be honest, I'm not exactly 100% sure of how they would designate their orders as every place is different. At a local place I would go in the US, the place you sat at would have a number written on the counter in from of you and when you made an order, the sushi you ordered would be sitting on top of a cylindrical plate holder with your number written on the side of the plate holder thus designating your order. I would imagine that some kaitenzushi restaurants in Japan might have similar designation styles for getting their order to the correct customer. At the place I suggested where the OP should go to, the chef would just hand me the plates I ordered. Also on the thread I gave the link to, some of the posters had mentioned that each restaurant had their own set of rules of allowing you/not allowing you to take the sushi off the belt or have different ways of marking sushi plates meant to be given to a certain customer who ordered them. When I told my sushi chef at my local sushi restaurant about my experience eating at a kaitenzushi restaurant in Japan, he says too that every place is different regarding the rules and plate designations for customers who order. I hope this helps.

To the OP, here's a CNNgo article of Maguro Bito: http://www.cnngo.com/tokyo/eat/magurobito . IF you're staying at the hostels in Asakusa, Maguro bito is right nearby them. IF you don't speak fluent Japanese, they also have an english menu as well which you then point to the item you want and say "Kore o onegaishimasu" (I would like that please). I just found this video of the dining experience at magurobito: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh3A0Dgrx_c&feature=related . It seems you can just take the plates but like I mentioned in my previous post, some just merely put the sushi just for display as they want you to order for the freshest sushi experience. Once again, I hope this helps you and that you have fun with your kaitenzushi experience in Japan!
by rsxguy04 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread