Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Neighbors moving in? Out? 2011/8/31 21:55
I live in a small rented mansion block and moved in about 6 months back. Did the small gift to neighbors bit.

A few days back my neighbor below knocks on my door with the kids. I don't recognize her, since only bumped into each other max twice.

My Japanese is so-so, but what I catch is that this a new neighbor moving IN (to the apartment below_ tomorrow and sorry about noise, but yoroshiku onegaishimasu and small gift.

But days on and no new neighbor, but now I see the apartment is empty and car park space also.

I don't get it. This was obviously the OLD neighbor moving OUT, but is it usual to give a gift on leaving an apartment as well as moving in?

Insights welcome..
by Don (guest)  

Ummm 2011/9/1 12:56
It sounds like the old neighbor kindly came to say sorry for the noise (to come on the day when they move out) and bye to you... I have had neighbors stop by to say bye upon moving out, but I would say a gift is unusual, unless you have been close. You happened to have a particularly nice neighbor :)
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2011/9/1 14:32
Don,

Although rarely, some old neighgors do give gifts upon moving out.

But it's also common for new neighbors to come around for greetings weeks before moving in, especially when they are planning to have people coming in for a short time just for cleaning and such.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread