Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo Imperial Palace - jogging? 2011/9/4 17:27
Want to know if it is at all possible to jog/run laps around the outside of the Imperial Palace? Is there a track/footpath around the entire Palace perimeter (outside) or are there mostly roads? I've only been to the front when we did a tour of the Palace last year.

Hope to run daily from Asakusa to the Palace run one lap around then run back to Asakusa. (~15km)
by Stewy63  

... 2011/9/4 21:54
There are many joggers around the Imperial Palace, running on the (sometimes narrow) sidewalk. The perimeter is 5km. This has turned into a popular jogging road, but there have been some complaints from pedestrians about over-eager joggers, with whom they have to share the sidewalks. Going counterclockwise seems to be the norm. When you get there, you will see other joggers :) Have fun!
by ..... (guest) rate this post as useful

it's very cool 2011/9/5 13:46
We'd also heard about this jogging route from a magazine before we went to Tokyo. So, since we were staying close by in Ginza, one day we headed out in the running gear and gave it a go.
It's an awesome run, it follows the pavement on the outside of the main moat so you get some great views. Also at one point you leave the roadside and go through one of the big wooden gates which I presume was/is one of the entrances to the palace grounds.
In total I think one lap is about 3.9km (we had a garmin gps tracking it) so it's a good distance and you can always do more than one lap if you're eager.
There were quite a few other runners when we turned up, some of them had ridden bicycles over there to do the run, so it seems quite popular. There was a great range of people too, a couple of really serious guys, and lots of middle aged runners, which was nice to see. It's also fun to see the running fashion in Japan, expect serious colour coordination (I'm talking down to laces!) and shell suits :-)
by GMatt rate this post as useful

reply to this thread