Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gift for minishuku owner? 2011/9/5 22:55
I'll be in Japan in a few weeks for a holiday. I'll visit a couple of minshuku during that time, and having been there before, I already know what nice people the owners are. So I thought it's be nice to buy them a little something to give them when I take my leave.

I've read up a little about gift-giving in Japan, and it seems customary to give something small or simple, so not to make them feel inclined to give something back. It also just simply feels natural to spend no more than 500 or so, for staying just one night (but also getting dinner&breakfast).

I still wonder about what kind of thing I should buy. I know this has been asked many times over on this forum, I realise that, but I don't think it's ever been asked for a minshuku owner...

I can write hiragana & katakana. So I could also write something on a card, or on the packaging of the gift. But should I?

Anyway, I hope you can give me some pointers. Thanks!
by thany  

local treats from home, maybe 2011/9/6 17:19
thany,

I know many people including myself who are frequent users of their favorite minshuku and no one brings gifts to the minshuku.

If you already have something in mind that you think would be perfect for these owners, go ahead. But you don't have to try hard.

Meanwhile, if they have a guest notebook, be sure you write something nice on it for promotion. You can also recommend the place to your friends.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

I have sent Postcards of thanks 2011/9/7 03:06
of my home town to Minshuku owners in the past. I was astonished to receive a postcard in reply from one of them.
by Stan Norrell (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread