Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bulk/Wholesale food 2011/9/14 22:39
Hi,

Recently I bought some food in bulk through an online sight (yoyo market), but they didn't have everything I wanted. Does anyone know of another online site that sells food in bulk (ships within Japan)?
I know there's a few retailers such as Costco that are around but I don't really want to buy a membership there if I only need a couple of items.

Any suggestions would be great.
by Rebecca23  

costco 2011/9/15 10:44
This came up on a thread yesterday, but you can order from costco via delivery services such as flying pig and fbc without needing membership.

http://www.theflyingpig.com
http://www.fbcusa.com
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2011/9/15 10:52
Guess I did a bit of a mediocre search before I posted this question. Thanks!
by Rebecca23 rate this post as useful

.... 2011/9/15 14:12
In the thread yesterday I noted that the resellers mark up 40% but after casually reviewing the sites, it's more like 70-100% markup on each item.

So when you include shipping you will be paying near twice what you would pay at Costco.

If a membership is out of the question, before trying one of those retailers, give Rakuten a try. If you can get the proper Japanese version of the product name, you will find that Rakuten has lots of bulk and wholesale items for prices even cheaper than Costco.

Usually the only Japanese required is for the order form and search keywords.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

delivery services 2011/9/15 16:33
In the thread yesterday I noted that the resellers mark up 40% but after casually reviewing the sites, it's more like 70-100% markup on each item.
So when you include shipping you will be paying near twice what you would pay at Costco.

Its a mixed bag. I looked at some of my regularly purchased items and half the stuff has a nearly 100% markup while other items are a modest 20-30%. So it looks pretty bad when you compare to the original costco prices. However, once you add in the transportation (car, gas, toll) and membership costs it isn't so lopsided, especially since most of the country is not within a reasonable distance from a costco in the first place. And it isn't too difficult to see a savings if you are compare to locally sourced products.

Otherwise, I agree that rakuten is another good resource if you can navigate the Japanese pages and payment options. Browser based translators such as rikaichan or rikaikun can be lifesavers for filling out those forms.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2011/9/15 17:04
Thanks for your answers. I might give Rakuten a try :)
by Rebecca23 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread