Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bring fruits out of Japan to Singapore 2011/9/28 23:23
Hi Everyone,

I'm from Singapore and i'm a frequent traveler to Japan. I always love the local fruits (Strawberry, peaches, etc) in Japan. I wonder if the Japanese custom allows me to bring some local fruits back to Singapore for personal consumption?

I can confirm Singapore custom allows me to bring in fruits from Japan, but i'm not sure if i can bring fruits out of Japan.

I would appreciate if someone could solve the mystery for me! Thank you!

Best Regards,
Steve
by Steve (guest)  

Re: Bring fruits out of Japan to Singapore 2011/9/30 09:16
I had a friend who checked in a whole box of strawberries as a piece of luggage on our flight back from Narita airport 2 years ago, so I guess it's fine.
by Marc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bring fruits out of Japan to Singapore 2011/9/30 09:36
Although dependent on officer and aisle, a passenger is allowed to bring fruits through Singapore Customs because it is a non-agricultural nation.

I've seen passengers carrying fruits on flights. However, soft fruits-peaches, berries are easily bruised- where will you stow it?

On one flight, a passenger boarded last minute. above her seat, only fully filled bin spaces. She found a gap in another sector-and stowed her carry-on loaded with strawberries. Before plane landed, the crushed, spilled red juices slowly dripped down to napping, seated passenger. He complained. I recalled the cabin crew held the stained bag high, calling for the owner- not a pleasant sight.

When we carried blueberries cushioned between packs, packed into smaller bags carefully stowed under seats-they arrived in pristine -no spoilage--- condition.
by Donaldl rate this post as useful

Re: Bring fruits out of Japan to Singapore 2011/9/30 09:51
It is no problem to bring out fruits from Japan. But you have to check with Singapore customs - usually they make much more fuss over the things brought in, not those brought out.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Just add some info 2011/9/30 10:27
Below is a web page of The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries of Japan.

http://www.pps.go.jp/travelerss/view/exp/index.html

google translation

http://translate.google.co.jp/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=ja...

Singapole

http://translate.google.co.jp/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=ja...

As other posters wrote, you will have no problems.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Sorry 2011/9/30 10:28

Sorry again 2011/9/30 10:31

Re: Bring fruits out of Japan to Singapore 2011/9/30 11:12
by bj3112011 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bring fruits out of Japan to Singapore 2011/10/1 00:13
Hi people!

Many thanks for all the replies. I've already checked and can confirm there is no issues with Singapore custom as the country is a non-agriculture country. I have also brought in fruits from other countries(such as Taiwan, Malaysia, China, etc) into Singapore before.

The reason i'm asking if i'm allowed to bring fruits out of Japan is because everytime when i'm queuing to clear embarkation at the airport to board the plane, i saw signage for export license to bring plants out. However, at the same time, i've also seen people queuing in front of me carrying boxes of peaches and they successfully clear the customs. These results in a dilemma for me.

Steve
by Steve (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bring fruits out of Japan to Singapore 2011/10/1 05:54
There is no out bound custom checks in Japan. So you can take anything out if it doesn't violate the security issues. You can take fruits out for sure. I always carry some fruits to eat in the plane. Unfortunately, my home country, the USA, doesn't allow incoming fruits, so I have to leave anything I don't finish in the plane...
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bring fruits out of Japan to Singapore 2011/10/4 22:20
I was at Kansai International Airport last month and yes there were some fellow travellers whom bought grapes back to Singapore. It can be either checked in or as hand-carried item.
by Fuzzybear rate this post as useful

Re: Bring fruits out of Japan to Singapore 2011/10/13 01:41
There actually is a limit to how much fruits you can bring into Singapore and that can be found here http://www.ava.gov.sg/InformationForTravellers/BringFood/
The apparent amount of fruits we can bring in is "Small, reasonable quantities hand carried for personal consumption"
by Claudia (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread