Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

non Asians becoming jpop celebs? 2011/10/2 14:01
I REALLY want to be a jpop star but sadly I'm not even half Asian -.- do I have any chance of becoming a jpop idol at all? If so what r things I should do that would help?
by Sanrin  

Re: non Asians becoming jpop celebs? 2011/10/2 23:22
im not asain, but i think you have a decent chance of becoming one if you had good vocals and fully knew japanese.
by AaronUS rate this post as useful

Re: non Asians becoming jpop celebs? 2011/10/6 22:12
Being quirky, knowing Japanese, showing interest in the country for its people, being able to sing, possible attractiveness (they fall for that a lot), having a great voice...you know, the usual things.
by Mogtaki rate this post as useful

Re: non Asians becoming jpop celebs? 2011/10/7 23:17
Jon, the vocalist of fade and also of Yellow Fried Chickenz, is not Asian. He was raised in Seattle... but I think he is pretty popular. He's fluent in Japanese though and has lived there for over 10 years.
by Kira (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: non Asians becoming jpop celebs? 2011/10/8 10:31
Thank u guys!!! This is really helping me get the courage to do it!! What entertainment group could I join?
by Sanrin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: non Asians becoming jpop celebs? 2011/10/9 00:26
I hate to break it to you, but any foreigner will have a hard time breaking into the Japanese entertainment industry. It's not impossible, but the odds will be against you.

The only reason Jon (the guy mentioned in a post above) is relatively well known in Japan (though I wouldn't exactly call him "famous") is because Gackt hand-picked him for Yellow Fried Chickenz.He didn't need to audition or face the challenge of competing against other non-foreign singers.

The main problem with foreigners auditioning for companies is that there are so many different entertainment companies in Japan, so there is no real one that has an aggressive international audition system. And truthfully, the online auditions really don't get processed most of the time. Thrre are hundreds/thousands of foreigners who audition every year, and very few ever get picked (that's why you rarely see foreigners on Japanese TV, let alone as famous J-pop singers).

But I must warn you, the Japanese people are very wary about non-Japanese people becoming celebrities. Most of the foreign actors/celebrities here (as far as I have seen) are usually in variety shows, or if they are in dramas they always play a bit role.

The only real "foreigner" (and I use the term loosely) I have seen become exceedingly popular is the singer Crystal Kay-- but she was born and raised in Japan, so despite only being half-Japanese I imagine being born in Japan made a world of difference for her success. So if you want to become a star in Japan, I would say that mastering Japanese is a MUST. The Japanese will be much more open and accepting of you if you make an effort to really get to know their language and culture well.
by Ami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: non Asians becoming jpop celebs? 2011/10/9 00:31
Well I already am learning Japanese and I know the culture pretty well but sigh it's not fair it's not my fault I wasn't born Asian -.- should I keep trying?

Re: non Asians becoming jpop celebs? 2011/10/9 08:36
It is as difficult for a Japanese person to become a j-pop celebrity as it is for a foreigner. You have to have a very special talent and/or the right connections. Most will never make it. With a "it's not fair" attitude you will definitely get nowhere.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: non Asians becoming jpop celebs? 2011/10/9 19:05
It wouldn't matter even if you WERE Asian. Even if you were Korean or Chinese, you would have the same amount of difficulty becoming a celebrity as someone American or European. The Japanese music industry simply isn't as open to foreign singers/actors as they are to Japanese born singers/actors. Even the recent "hallyu" wave has received quite a bit of negativity from Japanese people who do not want their entertainment to be associated with Korea or don't want Koreans stealing the spotlight from an up and coming Japanese singer.
by Kira (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: non Asians becoming jpop celebs? 2011/10/10 08:33
I doubt it would be much easier even as a Japanese! It is about the most difficult industry to succeed unless you have exceptional talent, looks and/or connections. A "it's not fair" attitude, however, will definitely get you absolutely nowhere.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: non Asians becoming jpop celebs? 2011/10/10 08:49
I'm sorry I won't think like that any more ^^ I'LL THINK POSITIVE!!! and try my best!

Correcting Ami's post 2011/10/13 08:17
Crystal Kay is half Korean half black, she lived in the Military Base in Yokohama.
It is very hard to be famous in Japan unless you've lived in Japan and speak fluent near native Japanese because you can relate to your audience.
Beckii for example was thrown in the music industry in Japan barely knowing a word Japanese. She was famous to all the Otaku but eventually faded away.
Japanese people get tired of cutesy Magibon like girls.
I think that if a foreigner brings something fresh they can make it.
But if you want to audition, go to Japan. Thats easier than online auditions.
Good Luck!
by Haruka (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: non Asians becoming jpop celebs? 2011/10/13 14:29
The question is, Why do you want to become famous in Japan?

by jin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: non Asians becoming jpop celebs? 2011/10/16 03:28
Hmm I guess it's cuz i love singing and dancing and I want to be able to go far with them I want people to have fun watching me dance or sing and get inspired ^_^ I'm also thinking a little towards kpop too but idk yet

reply to this thread