Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

meeting her family (father's birthday gift) 2011/10/4 18:10
Next month I will meet my girl again in Japan. We have been in a LDR for over a year now and I have traveleld to Japan a few times and she has visited Europe since.

Her family knows but they don't talk or confront her about us, so she assures me they are ok with it. I have been to her sister's house and met her mother there. (but that was before we confided our feelings to each other)

What's different about my trip now, is that it's also her father's 60th birthday....and I am invited to join their celebration dinner. I know turning 60 is a special birthday. (kanreki?)
Her family is not ultra-traditional, but meeting her father I think is still considered a big event !

Any ideas what kind of gift I should bring for her father ?

Some do's and dont's I should be aware of ?

Thx
by dpjeffrey  

Something red 2011/10/5 10:58
dpjeffrey,

You're supposed to give something red on the 60th birthday. Traditionally, it's supposed to be a red "chanchanko" vest and cap, but no modern 60 year old would appreciate anything as lame as that.

When my father-in-law turned 60 I was travelling in France and I bought him back a red neck tie of a French design. He liked it very much and wore it for me on another occasion. To a business partner and friend who loves to drink, I gave a reddish cup made by my favorite potery artist.

Why not ask your own father or uncles for advise on things that are "sophisticated" but doesn't make you feel "old" :)
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: meeting her family (father's birthday gift) 2011/10/6 07:37
Hello Uco,

thank you for your reply.

I know about the red chanchanko, and it really looks ancient, can't blame anyone for disliking it.

The red tie is a good idea, I'll try to figure my girlfriend's thoughts.
Will be on the lookout for anything 'red' :-)

Cheers
by dpjeffrey rate this post as useful

reply to this thread