Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Earthquakes 2011/10/9 11:47
Hi everyone

Is it true that Japan experiences earthquakes regularly? How often is that? Is it the same in Tokyo?

What is your advise to tourists in the event of an earthquake bearing in mind that many may never had experienced even one in their lives. I certainly haven't. So even the slightest tremor might make people lose their presence of mind.

Thanks in advance.
by anony (guest)  

Re: Earthquakes 2011/10/9 12:33
Is it true that Japan experiences earthquakes regularly?

Yes, many per day. But most of them are small, and many are not even noticeable. Only once in a while there is a bigger one. And only once in a few years there is one that causes major damage.

Is it the same in Tokyo?

Unfortunately, Tokyo is located in an area that is relatively active with regards to earthquakes. Minor ones can be felt every few weeks. Really bad ones hit the area about once per century.

Major earthquakes are rare, and destruction even by the huge earthquakes tends to be local to a relatively small area. Consequently, the risk for a tourist to be injured in an earthquake is extremely low. You are much more likely to be involved in a traffic accident in your home country.

What is your advise to tourists in the event of an earthquake bearing in mind that many may never had experienced even one in their lives.

Remember that the danger of getting hurt is extremely low. Panicking is the most dangerous thing you can do. But in the highly unlikely case that you will actually be involved in a major tremor, try to identify the potential dangers. Most people get hurt by things falling down on them. Look out for heavy things that could fall, and furniture that could topple. In the streets, look out for glass or roof tiles that could fall. But don't run into the street, either. The car traffic is likely to pose a bigger danger than the tremors.

Take it easy! Believe in mathematics. But also get acquainted with the main dangers and how to behave in an earthquake. You just have to try to remain calm.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquakes 2011/10/9 12:42
Thanks.
by anony (guest) rate this post as useful

Ask hotel for safety precautions 2011/10/9 12:53
Anony,

What is your advise to tourists in the event of an earthquake bearing in mind that many may never had experienced even one in their lives.

If you are concerned, be sure to ask that question as you check in to your accomodation. The staff will most gladly explain you your safety precautions.

And like any other hotel in the world, hotels here in Japan are supposed to have a map in each room showing the way to evacuate in case of emergency. Whatever country I travel to, I check that as soon as I get into my room, and make sure I know where the emergency exits are.

Then I can forget about it and relax and enjoy my stay! And as suggested, in my 40 odd years of living in Japan, mostly in Tokyo area, there has been only two or three times that I've seen anything even tipping due to earthquakes.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquakes 2011/10/9 16:36
Lots of countries around the world have earthquakes, mostly minor or barely felt...US and Canada and most of Europe to start with..
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Other places 2011/10/9 21:03
By the way, I wrote I've lived in Japan for a little more than 40 years, but I've also lived in the U.S. for 4.5 years, and the biggest earthquake I've ever experienced in my life was the one in Los Angeles. Big wooden ornaments fell from the wall and broke. But I was asleep the whole time trying to eat icecream in my dreams.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquakes 2011/10/11 03:12
I have been to Japan many times and only felt 1 quake in all the months there cumulatively. The chances that you will feel an earthquake are very low and even if you did, if it was a small one, you might not even realize what it was until it was over.
by stevenjv (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquakes 2011/10/11 07:29
Thankyou.

Re: Earthquakes 2011/10/11 22:57
I've been here for a little bit more than 1 month and I felt 3 earthquakes. But they were all pretty weak. May be enough to wake you up if you're not a heavy sleeper but nothing to be concerned about.
The buildings here are built to endure earthquakes so even if the tremors are strong it should be enough to hide under the table.
But yeah, just ask the staff at your hotel, they will be happy to explain everything to you.
by makhanjp rate this post as useful

Re: Earthquakes 2011/10/12 10:24
Crikey, I have never lived anywhere where there has been an earthquake.

reply to this thread