Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying clothes in Japan? 2011/10/13 23:40
I weigh about 145 pounds and about a size 12-14, it's hard to find clothes that fit right because I have large breasts. I am going to Japan this year and was wondering, about what size I would be? or a good place I could look for clothes since i've heard asian women sized clothes are typically pretty small. Also, is it hard to buy bra's in Japan that fit if your large chested? Any help would be appriciated :) Thanks
by Sarah McGraw (guest)  

Re: Buying clothes in Japan? 2011/10/16 03:32
Tell us how tall you are first, and get measured. If you are less than 5ft8 and are that weight, i must suggest to you to work out a lot before going to japan ;p. If you are tall and/or well proportioned you can probably get away it. But large boobs? I wouldn't know. You will just have to hope for the best and find out as much as possible before you go to japan, unless it doesnt matter that much to you. Here in the UK a normal size is equivalent to a japanese large size if i remember rightly..
by Essubi rate this post as useful

Re: Buying clothes in Japan? 2011/10/16 19:48
Hi, you can look for clothes converters like currency converters just by searching on google.
by AJ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying clothes in Japan? 2011/10/20 00:09
I suggest you stack up on Bras and panties while still home!!
I spent a year in Tokyo and I could barely get into the biggest sized pair of jeans I found. I found that there were only certain types of clothing I could wear. Nothing slim but mostly baggy or a-lined. I'd settle for large tunics with tights. That would be my best advice. Works if you're a student or work someplace very casual.As for business attire they have larger size but I never found anything nice. I also couldn't find my cup size at a reasonable prize, and I have common size where I come from.

My advice would be to bring as thorough a closet you manage. Also another tip is to "culture-check" you tops and dresses. What would hardly count as a decolletage in my or your country would be considered provocative or even offensive in Japan. Just a friendly tip :)

Oh and good luck with your stay!
by klover rate this post as useful

Re: Buying clothes in Japan? 2011/10/24 04:20
What the above people said isn't necessarily true. First and foremost, the individual saying you need to be like, 5'8" to find clothes is incorrect. I'm 5'3", 150 pounds and wear size 11 jeans and can fit into a Hot Topic medium (and a small, but it rides up to the middle of my waist). It all depends on the proportion of fat to muscle that you have.

What country are you from? Saying you're 12-14 can mean totally different things depending on the country.

As for bra size, what are you specifically? I'm a 32F, so I understand completely about being busty. I've been able to find bras that fit at Nissen, though. (Google Nissen and look at their plus size bras and the size chart). You would probably know already this, but band size is important in determining how a bra fits - remember than if you're a 34DD, dropping down a band size will bring you to 32F. Otherwise, you'll get misshapen bulges that aren't particularly attractive (believe me, I know).

As for clothing, you should be able to find stuff at stores like Uniqlo. Don't go to little boutiques and expect it to be easy to find clothes that fit well (that probably wouldn't apply to your home country anyway).

The individual who mentioned culture checking is right, in a way. They do tend to dress a little more conservatively. But I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as you're not displaying a generous amount of cleavage or your cheeks aren't hanging out of your shorts (which would get eye-raises where I'm from in America), I think you'll be fine. The best thing you can do is look at the styles on websites like Nissen and Uniqlo and make a judgement based on that.
by RaikouNeko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread