Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Eating fish sperm 2011/10/14 11:24
We recently returned from Hateruma Island and whilst there my wife ordered a Ryukyu (Okinawa) style set course meal that I'm quite sure had a dish with fish sperm.
It was like a white cream/custard with sesame seeds topping it. I had read on the internet a few months about such a thing but had never had it served before.

Wife is quite sure it was fish sperm but my question is- is it a common dish, how is it called in Japanese and from which fish does it normally come from?

It was a small dish containing soley the white 'junk' (~120ml) with only a topping of sesame seeds.
by Stewy63  

Re: Eating fish sperm 2011/10/14 14:36
It is called shirako (q). It is neither common nor extremely rare:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milt
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Eating fish sperm 2011/10/14 16:16
There is different type of shirako depending on the fish. Fugu is celebrated for having the best shirako and I believe it is in season now, or will be soon.
by YukariSakamoto rate this post as useful

shirako 2011/10/14 20:33
I enjoy shirako from time to time. They're sold at supermarkets when in season, and is a great treat and a must for gourmet drinkers!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread