Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How old do kids stop bathing with parents? 2011/10/16 02:43
My grandpa is going to take me and my sister to Japan next summer. I know it's common for families to bathe together, but how old is this done until? I am 9 and my sister is 13. Can we bathe by ourselves?
by JennyG103  

Re: How old do kids stop bathing with parents? 2011/10/16 10:15
There is no written rule and it differs from family to family. What's more important is; do you feel comfortable taking a bath with your grandpa? Many Japanese kids insist on taking a bath on their own by age 9, but even not you have the right to decide yes or no.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Quite unusual 2011/10/16 13:36
Jenny,

As suggested, it's very unusual for a parent in Japan to let 9 year olds or older people to bath with someone of the opposite genger even if it's her own grandfather. But it's up to you.

Meanwhile, if you go to big onsen baths etc., you might be encouraged to bath with strangers of your own gender in a huge bathing room. Again, it's up to you to refuse or not.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread