Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sticky rice 2011/10/20 04:37
I have a 20lb bag of "sushi rice" it's sticky when cooked. I have this problem I follow the instructions given to me on the bag yet the rice is "gritty" or still not cooked. But the longer I wait the drier it becomes and then it is no longer "sticky"
I'm using a pot and water and not a rice cooker. Also this is for only one person so I don't need a massive amount.
How long or what way will work in cooking this rice so it's still moist and sticky?
by chris (guest)  

Re: Sticky rice 2011/10/20 08:55
Add more water. The directions on the bag are never accurate. Add your rice then water and bring to a boil. When you notice the water starting to boil, turn the heat down as much as possible. Once all water is no longer visible turn heat off completely and allow to stand about 10 minutes COVERED. Do not uncover during this time or steam will escape and rice will be undercooked. Ratio of water to rice is usually 1 part rice to two parts water. Using a pot with a see through lid is the best. If cooking 3 cups of rice, the cook time is usually about 15 minutes. Longer for more rice. Good luck.
by SC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sticky rice 2011/10/20 09:22
Here is what I do;

1) Take, for instance, 1 cop of rice and put it in the pot with the heaviest bottom you have.
2) Pure water, swish, and drain. Repeat 5-7 times.
3) Pour the same amount of water as the rice plus 2 tablesppons of water. Let the rice sit in the water, covered, at least 30 minutes.
4) Bring the water to a boil (not the mad boil) and reduce the heat to low. Let it cook 15 minutes.
5) Turn of the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes.
6) Enjoy.

I like to use the pot with glass lid. It really helps to see when to reduce the heat.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sticky rice 2011/10/20 14:54
I will try that. This is what the bag instructions tell me.

1- pour 1 cup rice into a pot
2- pour 1-1/4 cup water into pot with the rice
3- heat to rapid boil
4- once boiling set to low temp and cover for 30 min.

Usually I get hard gritty rice. Which is bad the rice costs a lot and I end up throwing a lot of it away.
by chris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sticky rice 2011/10/20 16:15
Nothing wrong with the above (very detailed) post, but if you want the lazy man's version...

- Wash 2-3 times with cold water
(washing means adding water until rice is completely covered, swirl around while pressing down, pour out water, repeat)

- After washing, level out rice and add cold water. the water should cover the rice by 2.5 - 3cm (little more than 1 inch).

I don't know anyone who actually measures the water when cooking rice. For me, it's the average height that reaches the first joints of my middle and ring fingers.

- Bring to boil then reduce to low-medium heat for 25-30 minutes.

Don't remove the cover until you think it's about time and don't stir. Having the pot with the glass lid does help.

Once done, turn off heat, stir the rice inside the pot, and let sit with lid on for another 5-10 minutes.

by kyototrans rate this post as useful

The lid is the key 2011/10/20 16:45
Chris,

It's possible that the rice is prewashed. I mean, for one, they don't sell anything called "sushi rice" in Japan, and secondly, for example in Viet Nam "sticky rice" is especially sticky rice (mochi-gome) that you wouldn't usually use for sushi. So clearly, you have some kind of exotic rice that is unique to your country or market or what not.

If it's pre-washed, not only do you not need to wash it but washing it may ruin its taste (they sell "musenmai" pre-washed rice in Japan and it tastes bad if you wash it at home).

But the most important thing is to let it sit WITH THE LID STILL ON after you turn off the heat. This is what makes the rice moist and, in your sense, sticky. Any kind of Japanese rice will end up gritty if you don't let it sit at the end.

Also, typically, Japanese style rice is cooked with the lid strictly on, so if you haven't tried that, try keeping the lid on at all times while boiling.

If you want to make vinigrated sushi rice, season the rice after you let it sit but while it's still hot. Here is a movie showing an easy way to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QzNDwnUQ2Q

As long as you keep the lid on the cooked rice, the rice will stay moist and sticky enough while it's warm. But once the cooked rice gets cold, it will get gritty. That's how it is.

You can still utilize this cold rice by stir-frying it, by stewing it, or by sprinkling water on it and re-heat it in the micro-wave. Otherwise, make an unseasoned rice ball while the rice is still warm, wrap the ball with saran wrap and put it in the freezer. You can micro-wave the wrapped ball to enjoy its original moist feeling again.

Bon appetite!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sticky rice 2011/10/23 12:39

Sushi rice grains supplied to sushi chefs are commonly from seasoned crop-not new crop rice. Japanese housewives prefer tastier new crop purchases, so a good supermarket indicator is discounted rice –usually last yearfs crop.
Economical alternatives work. Vietnamese glutinous (sticky) rice can be used for sushi in either 1:1 or 1:1.5 Vietnamese: long grain almost representative in Korean rice (short grain). Almost all rice types can be used for sushi if mixed proportionally. However in many India recipes, rice is washed after high heat boiling to remove the starch before re-boiling at low heat to cook rice fully-creating the graininess. This step should be avoided in making sushi rice.
Sushi tips.
1. Rinse rice only once or twice for local or imported rice (often fumigated during warehouse storage and shipment) Over rinsing removes the starchy rice surface left over during milling.
2. Soak rice at least an hour before boiling in 1:1 rice: water. Cook in automatic rice cooker.
3. Soak rice at least an hour before boiling in 1:1 rice : water for a pot/pan. Boil rice on high- takes about 10-15 mins depends on amount. When pin holes appear on top surface- moisture is absorbed; reduce to low range. With fire off, let it sit for five minutes to retain the steam. Caution-if you remove lid at this time and steam escapes, just turn heat on high one second with lid on, then let it sit for 5 minutes with lid on.
4. rice grainy cause 1-it is alright to lift the lid during cooking –not too often -when steam escapes from the pan, it reduces moisture content- leaves rice grainy.
5. rice grainy cause 2-no presoaking causing insufficient time for water absorption in grains before cooking.
6. Stage 1 Presoak, stage 2 high heat –help water to seal cooked inside grains.
7. rice grainy cause prevention alternative for starters: get a digital rice cooker-cook perfect timed rice.
8. Sushi tip 1 for tasty rice: Wrap cooked rice loosely with muslin or cheese cloth to cool the warm rice.
9. Sushi tip 2 to avoid stickiness: dampen fingers in ice cold vinegar water before handling rice each time
10. Sushi tip 3 to prevent breaking nori: Press rice and roll firmly, before rolling
11. Storing sushi rolls tip to prevent dryness –good for 24 hours. In air tight container, place roll on saran wrap on top of damp towel
12. No bamboo scroll? Use disposable plastic wrapping from nori pack. Practice well.

Delicious home-made sushi( or kim bab) is worth all efforts.
by Donaldl rate this post as useful

Re: Sticky rice 2011/10/27 20:04
The best instructions I've ever seen for making rice are here:

http://www.justhungry.com/2003/11/japanese_basics_1.html

Maki gives detailed info about how to wash rice, drain, soak, and cook. Since I've used her instructions, I've never had rice go wrong. She also talks about the types of rice (no wash rice, brown rice, sprouted rice, etc.) in other parts of her website.
by MN (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread