Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

dress code - knee length shorts acceptable? 2011/11/3 02:35
i know this is an awkward question. i will be visiting japan and plan to wear knee length shorts / bermudas during my visit. They would be more comfortable for the amount of walking i plan to do.

however, i have heard that bermudas are not common and i would stick out inappropriately. i recognize that some restaurants may have dress codes but what about just sightseeing?

do you know anything about wearing bermudas in japan? are they acceptable?

thanks!
by beekay (guest)  

Re: dress code - knee length shorts acceptable? 2011/11/3 11:44
beekay,

When are you coming? What part of Japan are you sightseeing? Do you look like a gal or a guy? How old are you? Otherwise, the answer to your question is all there on archieve threads of this Forum, which is, if anything, you will just look like a typical foreign tourist.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: dress code - knee length shorts acceptable? 2011/11/3 13:35
I wear long daggy cargo shorts pretty much all the time when I'm there, pretty much bermuda shorts with pockets. While they might be a fashion tragedy, they are really handy for cameras, water bottles etc. We eat in good restaurants and stay in nice hotels, I've never had any adverse comment, in fact in the Hyatt at Kyoto some of the staff got quite into translating my "beautiful pig" tee shirts for me. The japanese are pretty relaxed about that kind of thing in the touristy areas at least, some have got a pretty wicked sense of humour.
by Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: dress code - knee length shorts acceptable? 2011/11/3 16:13
If it's in the middle of winter, sure you'll get stares but otherwise, no one cares.

Japan is pretty fashion liberal and as long as there is no gross exposure, people really won't give a second thought to your attire (unless it's a formal event, of course).
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

Re: dress code - knee length shorts acceptable? 2011/11/3 20:59
Thanks all.

Uco, I am a male in my early thirties. I will be visiting Japan in November and well be mostly in touristy spots.

by beekay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: dress code - knee length shorts acceptable? 2011/11/3 21:15
Thank you, beekay. Actually what I meant by where was whether you'd be traveling tropical Okinawa or snowy Hokkaido.

Anyway, as suggested short pants would be pretty cold in November in most parts of Japan and many people might shiver just by seeing how inappropriately cold-looking you are. And you are no grade-school boy whose short pants would be more common even during winter or no lady who'd even wear mini-skirts in the snow.

But again, you are free to wear what you want and people would probably just think, "Oh well, he's foreign, and he must be from Scandinavia where they have colder autumns."

And just in case you are wondering, there is no dress code at temples and shrines unless you are attending a formal ceremony.

Enjoy your walking!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread