Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

European's favorite fish dishes 2011/11/10 00:07
l am a Japanese living in Japan. l am going to have a dinner with a bissiness partner from Greece. He says he likes fish. So I would like to introduce Japanese fish dishes. But he is a newbie for Japanese food. Which dishes are easy to eat and "feeling Japan" for European people? I am wondering sushi might be too common... I will appreciate for your suggestion !
by kamenoayumi  

Re: European's favorite fish dishes 2011/11/10 06:46
Sushi is very common in Europe these days, but the quality is low. Most Europeans, who like sushi, definitely want to eat "real sushi" while being in Japan. But there are a few people who don't like raw seafood.

Tempura is another well known and popular dish. Few people have problems with it.

Eating yakizakana with chopsticks, however, is very difficult for most Europeans and not recommended.

I would definitely go for sushi unless you know that the person does not like it or has had it a dozen times on his trip in Japan already.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: European's favorite fish dishes 2011/11/10 11:38
just stay away from maguro perhaps? many europeans are more educated about the problems of overfishing tuna than japanese...they might refuse to eat tuna unless it is certified.
I think sashimi is great and less common than sushi...also really great for understanding the texture colour and taste of various fish...in UK sometimes with sometimes smother fish with so many other flavours...I enjoy the japanese simplicity of sashimi.
For a guide to where you can buy sustainable fish check here...
http://www.msc.org/where-to-buy-ja/consumers
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

Grilled Greek fish was similar to Japanese 2011/11/10 15:53
I'm Japanese, so Europeans please enlighten me, but when I traveled to an island in Greece, the hostel manager took me to a casual dinner and I was delighted to find that their fish dishes were just like Japanese yakizakana of the likes of aji or sanma or iwashi. The size was about the same with the skin on and grilled with just salt. I wonder if it might be fun to take the guest to a robatayaki (although there is that chopstick issue).
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: European's favorite fish dishes 2011/11/10 16:56
Uco I doubt you need enlightening but the seemingly insatiable desire in Japan for maguro and a shocking lack of debate about overfishing is driving unsustainable and illegal fishing practices around the world.
I dont know why perhaps the kisho clubs want us all to stay ignorant so the fishing industry stays rich and people can tuck in to their tuna without the inconvenience of feeling guilty...I guess they didn't think so far ahead because the next generation will have nothing left to fish...so they are effectively destroying the fishing industry not protecting it.

Re: European's favorite fish dishes 2011/11/10 17:56
I mean kisha clubs! sorry typo

Re: European's favorite fish dishes 2011/11/11 18:33
I'd just like to point out that Europe is a massive continent. I'm sure that as an English person i have pretty different tastes to Greeks and so on. Look at it as if I were to say I have an Asian business partner coming to dinner, what do Asians eat? Some Asians I know eat curry every day, they sure aren't Japanese.
by Cuthyk (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Grilled Greek fish was similar to Japanese 2011/11/11 23:07
By the way, I didn't mean to deny the maguro debate. I was just throwing in a sardine idea.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: European's favorite fish dishes 2011/11/12 02:07
Stay away from bony fish. Japanese can push out a bone in the mouth to the lip and pick away by chop sticks but no capable westerners I know of. Also those sashimi that the fish is still alive & struggling to take the last breath. It is considered grotesque & cruel.
I suggest any kind of fish as long as de-boned or small/soft enough that can be eaten as a whole. It doesn't matter how fixed, raw sashimi, deep fried, grilled, pan sheared or cooked in stew, with lightly salted, brushed with teriyaki sauce, etc.
Grilled eel may be a bit different but Japanese.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: European's favorite fish dishes 2011/11/12 10:02
Thank you for many advices! l have never thought about tempura. But it would be an ideal dish for us to have:) Thank you.
by kamenoayumi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread