Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Matsushima Bay Cruise company 2011/11/12 11:22
I recently e-mailed this company concerning my plans to take a cruise on 3/11/2012. I waited a week for a response, but I have yet to receive any news from them. I wonder if the company isn't up and running. All I have is the website to rely on. If I were to call (from the States), it would be rather expensive and I can't be certain there would be someone answering who could understand English.

Does anyone know another way I can find out if they're still in business? I wanted to make a reservation and had a few questions concerning the fares. If someone could help, I'd appreciated it immensely. The website is as follows:

http://www.marubun-kisen.com/english/index.html
by John (digs Japan) (guest)  

Re: Matsushima Bay Cruise company 2011/11/14 08:36
Yes, they are in business. But I doubt that they can reply to inquiries in any language other than Japanese. What is it that you want to know about their fares? Isn't the website clear enough?
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Matsushima Bay Cruise company 2011/11/14 10:31
Thanks Uji for your prompt reply.

I was curious as to the difference between 2nd class, green class, and first class. I was also concerned if I should make a reservation for that day, being the anniversary of the tsunami, I was wondering if they may be busy that day and time (10:00). And since I don't have a Japanese address, I don't think the information I can supply their online form would be of any use.

I was also wondering how close the docks are to Honshiogama and Matsushimakaigan trains stations. I may be cutting arrivals and departures a little close....

Thank you for any information you can provide!
by John (digs Japan) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Matsushima Bay Cruise company 2011/11/14 10:41
I was curious as to the difference between 2nd class, green class, and first class.

2nd class is on the boat's first floor.
Green class is on the boat's second floor.
1st class is on the boat's third floor.

The views are considered better from the higher floors. And I assume that the seats are also somewhat more comfortable in the higher classes.

I was also wondering how close the docks are to Honshiogama and Matsushimakaigan trains stations.

About 5-10 minutes from Matsushima-Kaigan Station:
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Matsushimakaigan+Station,+Japan+(%E6...

About 10 minutes from Hon-Shiogama Station:
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Honshiogama+Stati...

Re: Matsushima Bay Cruise company 2011/11/14 10:57
Uji, wow, thanks once again for your propmt response! The rates make sense now, once you explain it.

I just hope they aren't too busy on 3/11 that I miss my chance.

Thanks!
John

by John (digs Japan) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Matsushima Bay Cruise company 2011/11/14 11:01
I can't imagine them to be too busy, because the town still suffers from a big drop of tourists. And there are four different sightseeing boat companies. On the other hand, it is a Sunday and some departures might be busy. Also, whether the anniversary will have an influence on crowds, I am not sure.

reply to this thread