Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Are there really yankee schools in Japan? 2011/11/16 12:39
Are there really yankee schools in Japan? After watching the drama Majisuka Gakuen, I'm wondering if schools like that really exist there?? Answers would be great!
by akbfangirl (guest)  

Re: Are there really yankee schools in Japan? 2011/11/21 13:26
I've worked at schools which had yankee students, but only small groups of them, not the whole student population!
by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are there really yankee schools in Japan? 2011/11/21 20:05
What the heck is a yankee school?

That doesn't really make any sense?
I guess you're a Brit or something and you mean yankee as in American.

But why would there be a bunch of Americans or an an American school here in Japan?
by B (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are there really yankee schools in Japan? 2011/11/21 20:35
yanki (not yankee) schools don't exist but there are schools especially in big cities where many (most?) of the students are yanki.

for the above poster, yanki does not mean american, yanki is short for young kids (yan ki). basically they're famous for being reckless, somewhat uncontrollable and basically being difficult to deal with. the girls tend to be gyaru, the guys tend to be gyaruo or part of the bosozoku.

aoyama high school in shibuya is not a yanki school but it has a huge population of yanki / gyaru students as it has no strict dress code.
by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are there really yankee schools in Japan? 2011/11/21 20:38
What the heck is a yankee school?
That doesn't really make any sense?
I guess you're a Brit or something and you mean yankee as in American.
But why would there be a bunch of Americans or an an American school here in Japan?

Lol... Sure it makes sense.. if you know anything about Japanese youth culture...

To quote wikipedia :
In Japan since the late 1970s, the term Yankī has been used to refer to a type of delinquent youth.

So what the OP means by 'Yankee School' is a school with a high percentage of delinquent type students, such as those shown in Majisuka Gakuen...

No derogatory meaning towards Americans was intended and should not be inferred...

However, of course there ARE American schools in Japan and, truth be told, there are also a 'bunch of Americans' in Japan as well...

Anyway, hope this clears up your confusion...

by Yankee Bad Boy (guest) rate this post as useful

Word origin is "Yankee" meaning American 2011/11/22 02:15
By the way, the Japanese word "yankii," which represents those odd-looking teenage rebels, do originally come from the English word "Yankee" meaning American.

This is because those teenagers originally immitated the 50s American fashion. Pompador hair style is the key and in Japan they call the hair style "Riijento" meaning Regent.
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%82%AD%E3%83%BC_(%E4...)

Nowadays, Yankee is not the typical fashion for bad high school students, but indeed there are schools in which the majority of the students don't behave. I've never seen the TV show in issue, but schools that are like Ryuzan High of the show "Dragon Zakura" are not that rare. I'm sure there are lots like this in other countries, too.
http://www.tbs.co.jp/dragonzakura/cast/index-j.html
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread