Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Women's Watch as a gift 2011/11/21 03:29
Hello,

I'm going to Japan very soon to see my Japanese girlfriend, it will be one year since I started dating her (although she left my country 5 months ago). I want to give her a surprise and buy her something as an anniversary present, which I am thinking to buy a Watch for her to represent the "time" we met and dated.

The question is, is it fine to give Watches as a present in Japanese culture? I know that for Chinese, it's a bad idea to buy a clock (symbolise bad luck). But how about a Watch for a Japanese lady?

Also I'm wondering what type of Watches or brands does Japanese women like? I'm looking for unique, cute but adult design.
by Poetry_of_Time (guest)  

Re: Women's Watch as a gift 2011/11/21 08:01
How I envy her!

is it fine to give Watches as a present in Japanese culture?
no problem.

what type of Watches or brands does Japanese women like?
For reference, the sales ranking of rakuten that is the largest online market in Japan.
http://ranking.rakuten.co.jp/rnk/navi/g302050/st0sl0rt1du2ge9mb0pr00/
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Women's Watch as a gift 2011/11/21 16:55
Poetry_of_Time,

For ages, watches have been typically used in Japan as gifts for celebration such as awards of engagement. No problem!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Women's Watch as a gift 2011/11/22 03:32
Thank you for the quick replies!

I was about to buy a Burberry Watch in London, which I found it unique and cute in style.

However, I realise Burberry in Japan is very popular, and even have it's own Blue Label range. So I'm holding back if such Watch is unique if this brand is very popular in her own country. In Japan, is the Burberry's Scottish tartan a regular and unattractive pattern (seen too many times)?

I'm not fussy about brands, but I like to find something unique.

Anyhow, I think she will like anything I buy, because this one year anniversary is a big surprise. And also she's been working so hard in her new job, I like to give her something special.

@ ajapaneseboy

Thanks for the website, a few designs in the list is very nice!! Gives me plenty of ideas.
by Poetry_of_Time (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Women's Watch as a gift 2011/11/22 12:22
Poetry_of_Time,

If you want to find something "unique," why not look into artists' designs or even traditional craftsmen? Famous brands, I would say, are more like "Oh, you have that great design that everybody knows about!" so while it may "stand out" it may not be "unique." But I do love the Burburry tartan check.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Women's Watch as a gift 2011/11/22 16:04
You could think of the Burberry watch as being a classic, something that will not date, and one that she can wear over a lifetime. Mentioning those things to her would make it very special, I would think.
by Tilt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Women's Watch as a gift 2011/11/22 23:35
@ Uco

I looked into artist watches, although they're so expensive.

And if I have the money to burn, one of my favourite design is from Van Cleef and Arpels' Lady Arpels Pont Des Amoureux. Absolutely beautiful craftmanship! Don't you think? ^_^

I also agree that tartan is very nice, although she told me in the past "don't buy me expensive gifts". -_-;

@ Tilt

hey! I was also thinking along those lines. I chosen a Watch to represent the "time we met and dated". So yes, you are right, i need to say something special. thanks Tilt.

by Poetry_of_Time (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Women's Watch as a gift 2011/11/23 00:59
The Van Cleef and Arpels watch is very beautiful and very classy. It would be a nice gift, but maybe that can wait for a wedding anniversary, don't you think? : )

I think your girlfriend will be very happy no matter what. Have a great trip and enjoy your time with her.
by Tilt (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread