Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Video/Photo Taking in Tokyo 2011/12/3 16:28
I'll be visiting Tokyo alone soon and I would like to shoot a series of videos and edit them to become a short travel clip.

I'm wondering if there are any video/photography etiquettes that I should be aware of? Of course, I know that shooting someone without his/her permission is rude no matter where I am so I'll never do that. Also, I know that I am not supposed to take photos in shrines when there is a roof.

But what about say, food in restaurant, items in a shop, the shop front and environ, the streets etc? I'll mainly focus on myself in these videos. Just that because I'm alone, I'm using a tripod which is quite eye-catching...
by Unagi (guest)  

Look out for the sign 2011/12/5 01:24
Unagi,

Where photography is prohibited, there are graphic signs like these at the enterance.
http://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E6%92%AE%E5%BD%B1%E7%A6%81%E6%AD%A2&...

I don't really have the impression that all shrines with roofs prohibit photography, but I do notice that a lot of shrines and temples prohibit photography of their exhibition. Anyway, they have the sign.

Also, a lot of shops have the sign, too, and I think the purpose is to protect the rights of the designers related to the shops. But I often discreatly take quick photos of merchandise I want to think over about before buying, and the shop clerks don't say anything about it. As long as you're not obviously trying to steal designs, I suppose you are tolerated.

Probably the most common photos taken today by the Japanese are meals. Friends would sit at a table and when the food comes, they immediately take out their digital camera to take a quick photo so that they can show it on their blog. The chefs are cool about it.

On a related note, at most places the staff of a shop or restaurant would always be happy to press the shutter of your camera to take a picture of you at your request.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Video/Photo Taking in Tokyo 2011/12/5 02:47
Ah... Quick shots... Meaning video taking will be tough huh. Maybe I can only stick to the streets and stuff.

Thanks for your reply Uco!
by Unagi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Video/Photo Taking in Tokyo 2011/12/5 21:58
As long as it's not within the "no photography sign" zone, video taking won't be tough either.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Video/Photo Taking in Tokyo 2011/12/6 09:04
I don't know, I think that setting up a tripod in shops and restaurants and on busy streets is pretty impractical, but who knows, if you are at a small uncrowded place with a private table or something, it might be ok, but you should definitely ask permission.

As far as taking video on a handheld camera, like Uco said, there are usually signs if an exhibit or something prohibits it. If there are no signs and it is not allowed, you will probably be politely asked not to. People all over Japan are making videos and taking pics of everything they see when they travel here, it is not unusual. Maybe you will meet some friends in Tokyo and they can take some vids of you. :) Have a great time!
by butabakamuchi rate this post as useful

Re: Video/Photo Taking in Tokyo 2011/12/7 02:06
I went to Meiji Jingu and they seemed to be doing some sort of short ceremony and they told us not to take pictures or take video (for the life of me I can't remember whether this was said in English or not). Someone started to anyway (a Chinese tourist) and he was stopped by one of the shrine staff.

So if you start to take a camera somewhere you aren't supposed to, most of the time they'll stop you.

I hear some maid cafes will only let you take Polaroids and then you have to pay a fee to do that.
by MN (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread