Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tall western woman issue 2011/12/10 06:55
Hello, I will go in a trip to Japan next summer, but I am a little worried about how I will be seen by the Japanese because, let's say, I will probabilly stand out because I am very tall(1.75m) and I have blonde, neck-lenght dyed hair. Could you please give me some advice so I can blend in a little.
by Taka (guest)  

Re: Tall western woman issue 2011/12/10 08:48
Unless you are willing to cover yourself up, you will just have to accept your appearance. It is a good experience for anybody to be an ethnic minority at one point in one's life. But discreet behavior can help you not to stand out to a certain degree, such as:
- keeping your voice down when talking with your friends
- putting yourself and your luggage in places where they don't cause any inconvenience to others

By the way, 175cm isn't that tall.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Tall western woman issue 2011/12/10 12:27
1,75m is not so tall!!you may be surprised by the seeing many japanese girls taller than 170!!!you will stand more for your blond hair than for your height!
by loira (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tall western woman issue 2011/12/10 14:37
While the average height in Japan for women is around 158cm, this is heavily weighed by older generations with an average height of below 155.

Among younger generations, 175 is tall but it's not so uncommon. 175cm in heels, not that will make you stand out but that's a good thing in my opinion.

20 years ago it might have been a big deal and in the countryside, even so now, but seeing a tall blonde girl in Japan is fairly common in major cities.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

Re: Tall western woman issue 2011/12/10 18:16
I am in my 50's,178 cms tall, and have grey-white hair which once was blondish., and although not at all fat, certainly proportionately larger than others.
It is not possible to "blend in": it can be an advantage at times to see over crowds in buses, subways etc.
Japan is a highly developed country, and Japanese people are used to tourists: just as we may not give a second look to someone of Asian appearance in our country.
You will not be stared at; you will be welcomed with politeness, and treated beautifully wherever you go.
If you are comfortable with yourself at home then you should not have problems in Japan.
Enjoy.
by fmj rate this post as useful

Here is a blog or a 183cm girl in Japan 2011/12/11 00:25
by K (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tall western woman issue 2011/12/13 08:18
Height has never stood out to me that much, but the blonde part shouldn't be a problem. Alot of people bleach their hair, so they look blonde too.
by :] (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tall western woman issue 2011/12/13 17:49
I'm the same height as you with dark blonde hair and have lived in Japan for quite a while. I'm taller than most but definitely not all Japanese women, and a similar height to most Japanese men my age and younger. My height doesn't really cause any issues other than making it difficult to buy trousers and causing me to bump my head on the strap handles on the train ;)

I agree with the above- you will stand out more for your foreign-ness than your height, but in most of Japan these days other than very remote areas foreigners are a dime a dozen and hardly get a second glance even from little kids!

Someone above had good advice about how to fit in as much as you can (because it's not possible to blend in)- follow local norms as much as possible- simple things like talking loudly on your phone on the train or walking down the street eating a sandwich would make you stand out much more than your appearance will. And enjoy your stay without worrying too much! :)
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tall western woman issue 2011/12/13 19:15
Almost of all brondes hair ladies are as tall as U.

Just a 5 cm taller than me(male).
No problem.
by 36madcooky rate this post as useful

Re: Tall western woman issue 2011/12/14 14:32
@Sira - But the street is the best place to eat a sandwich!!

Another random fact, Karyu, a popular Japanese musician, is 185cm.. and supposedly his friends refer to him as the giant. ..I'm not sure if that makes you feel better, but atleast there's even taller people in Japan.
by :] (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tall western woman issue 2011/12/15 07:47
@:] - it might be, but you won't see a lot of locals walking around eating sandwiches :) Sitting down on a bench and eating is normal, it's the walking thing that makes people stand out.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread