Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to write a nengajo 2011/12/28 13:49
I'd like to send a nengajo to my friends family but I'm not sure about the proper way to address and write it. The 7 boxes at the top are for the post code which is obvious but where and how do I write the address? Underneath the post code? Vertically or horizontally? Does my message have to read horizontally or vertical?

Thanks
by Banana Mana (guest)  

Re: How to write a nengajo 2011/12/28 15:29
I just finished mine with my PC. PC did everything... I know you don't use PC.

On the address side, you are right, post code is 7 degits and you must write the address and name, and they are written vertical.

right top (just below the last two boxes of the postcode) to down, you write the adress to go. Usually it becomes two lines.

Then, you still have enough room in the center, center top to down, you write the name in one line including 'sama'

Yet, you must have room far left between some signes above and another postcode boxes. You write your address and name in the same manner as above but make them smaller than your friend name in the center.

Now, big question, do you write them in Japanese or English?

If English, you just write everything in the English manner, i.s. horizontal. Postman will understand which is the adress and which is the name... Post code will automatically sort them out and send the cards to the local post office for the name.

by Jay Key (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to write a nengajo 2011/12/28 18:06
Thanks. I read that it is customary not to send a nengajo if there has been a death in the family in the past year. Is this true?
by Banana Mana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to write a nengajo 2011/12/28 19:29
To Banana Mana,

Yes, it is true. What happens is that if there has been a death in the family in this year, you send a "in mourning" card, so to say, around the end of November to people with whom you would normally exchange nengajo with, to let them know that you are in mourning so will not be writing nengajo. Those who receive it will not write nengajo either, but might write with a postcard a bit later into the new year. Nengajo starts off "congratulations on the new year" (in Japanese), so the idea is that if you are in mourning over a death, you are not supposed to say congratulations. Quite a traditional custom.

In the first place, writing nengajo at the end of the year (before the New Year) and having it sent so that it arrives on the New Year's Day, saying "wishing happiness for THIS year" is kinda corny, right? It's all part of long-standing customs :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How to write a nengajo 2011/12/29 01:05
Mana,

These are samples of nengajo.
http://www.google.co.jp/images?q=%E5%B9%B4%E8%B3%80%E7%8A%B6%E3%81%AE%...

The address doesn't really have to be verticle even when writing in Japanese, as long as it is clear to the postman which part is the address and which part is the name.

Your message should typically be written on the other side. If you write your name and address on the message side, you don't have to write it on the post code side.

Hope it helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How to write a nengajo 2011/12/29 13:39
If you want to write a message, get nengajo with room on the front.

If you don't want to write a message, get a nengajo that has a picture that takes up the entire front of the card.

The front is where the message should go, so choose your cards accordingly.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread