Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shopping in Akita city? 2012/1/3 06:43
Hey guys, I know there probably won't be very many people who know alot about Akita city due to it being a smaller city, but here goes:
I was wondering what kind of shopping options I would have in this area? Anybody have an idea? I am mainly wanting to buy an electronic dictionary for translating purposes, and ,aybe even buy some tradtional goods. Heck, even some modern trinkets and neat things I could give to family members. Any ideas would be great!
by Geikowannabe (guest)  

Re: Shopping in Akita city? 2012/1/3 10:55
When I lived in Akita, me and my friends always went to the Aeon Mall for our shopping. Lots of good stores and that's also where I got my electronic dictionary.
by Jo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shopping in Akita city? 2012/1/4 09:55
For souvenirs the railway building has some really good places for souvenirs. It also has a foreign food shop.
Aeon cancers - which gut the town centres as they move to the suburbs - will have lots of things.
yamada denki / ks denki etc should have reasonable electronic dictionary selections, though with smart phones they are not as popular as they used to be - there are translating applications, and kanji look up applications that make them basically redundant.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shopping in Akita city? 2012/1/5 06:52
Thanks guys! You have been an awesome help! Also, did you have any difficulty picking out an electronic dictionary? I have heard that they can get high as 1000 dollars, which is much higher than the 200 dollar budget I'm wanting to use.
by Geikowannabe (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shopping in Akita city? 2012/1/5 17:32
Hmmm, if I remember correctly (it's been over 2 years since I bought it) I think the price was between $250-$300. There's a whole range of prices on all the different models depending on how fancy or simple of a dictionary you want. Mine is a Sharp Papyrus and it does a pretty good job. I don't know how expensive they are nowadays, especially considering that so many people just use their smartphones as dictionaries.
by Jo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shopping in Akita city? 2012/1/7 10:19
Thanks! Hopefully because of smartphones, they will be a little cheaper, haha. I was hoping on getting one where you can outline the kanji, and it tells you what the kanji is on a sketch pad. Kanji is the one thing I'm having trouble on
by Geikowannabe (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread