Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Costco in Japan 2012/1/23 05:01
What kinds of products are available at the Costcos in Japan? American food products? American beer? Thanks.
by pdxrich  

Re: Costco in Japan 2012/1/24 13:52
pdxrich,

It's mostly a mix of local Japanese brands and American "Kirkland" products. I'm not sure about American beer... I recall seeing Heineken and Fosters in addition to the usual Japanese brands.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Costco in Japan 2012/1/24 14:03
The selection varies between stores and depending on the season, but I do not recall seeing any major American beer brands at my local costco. Its probably not what you're looking for, but they do sell a 24 bottle generic kirkland sampler pack containing Hefeweizen, Amber Ale, Pale Ale, and German Lager. Some stores also carry cases of Corona.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Costco in Japan 2012/1/24 14:24
What is an american beer brand? dont know any?
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Costco in Japan 2012/1/24 15:05
Typical brands such as budweiser, miller, coors, and sam adams come to mind. But surely you're joking! Even the most serious beer snobs know the budweiser name, if only to deride it with "piss flavored water" jokes ;)

Re: Costco in Japan 2012/1/24 15:18
Because of the way alcohol taxes are structured, having the "standard" American beer brands wouldn't make much business sense for Costco.

So if you want a Bud, you can go to your local Yamaya or Liquor Mountain.

Costco sites here definitely have adjusted to Japanese tastes but there's enough essential American products (ex: pastrami, bagels, frozen turkey, cereal, cheeses, snakes, and various processed foods...) that make it worthwhile.

The portions require some strategy considering the size of Japanese refrigerators and lack of pantry space but for a lot of items the quality : cost ratio offered by Costco is unmatched (though you have to be careful as many things are overpriced too!
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

Re: Costco in Japan 2012/1/24 17:30
This site will show most items other than alcohol available from Costco Japan
http://www.theflyingpig.com/tfp/Shop.ASP
I do believe they have Bud, but not 100% sure.
by Costco lover!! (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Costco in Japan 2012/1/25 14:25
Sorry I wasnt joking about not knowing american beer brands, of course I know budweiser but just assumed it was geman or something from the name. Never heard of sam adams? (doesnt sound like the name of a beer?) vaguely heard of coors and miller from american films etc but never seen them sold or had a chance to try them.
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Costco in Japan 2012/1/25 14:44
NP, I was only jokingly playing the stereotypical American that expects everyone to be aware his culture icons. I would also be at a loss to name your country's beers if the rolls were reversed.

FYI, Sam Adams is a beer brand named after Samuel Adams, one of the Founding Fathers.

reply to this thread