Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where can I find the goldfish catching game? 2012/1/31 01:01
Where and when can I find this "game" at matsuri in Japan where you are supposed to catch goldfish in a box with water with a fragile kind of net? Do you see which I mean, it's been on many anime shows before I have seen.
by Jo (guest)  

Re: Where can I find the goldfish catching game? 2012/1/31 13:03
you can find them at most local little matsuri...although it is a fun game, it is incredibly cruel to offer these fish up like plastic toys as most of the people "winning" the fish have not come with the intention of being a pet owner or thought about that responsibility involves...(a tank and equipment, cleaning, feeding etc)...so many of these fish just die of neglect. There are other ways to buy fish if you want to look after one and lots of other fun things to do at the matsuri.
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I find the goldfish catching game? 2012/1/31 16:17
This is more or less typically a summer game so you will find it at festivals in summer time.

I won't comment on cruelty but ask any Japanese what their first pet was and you will often find they will say the goldfish from the goldfish game or the turtle from the turtle catch game. So no doubt it serves as an entry point for kids' pet keeping.

If you catch any, get a small tank and take care of it. A "wakin" (plain looking goldfish) is strong and easy to keep. Don't go after the fancy ones with big fins. They are more delicate and usually stressed out in the game pool by the time you get them. They tend to die very soon even if you take proper care after you catch. They just keep them in the pool so the game looks better.
by Harry Takeuchi rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I find the goldfish catching game? 2012/1/31 17:29
If you are in Japan on August, you can see it at many matsuri in shrines/temples.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I find the goldfish catching game? 2012/1/31 18:45
Looking after a pet is a great thing for kids, wouldn't want to take that experience away from anyone...my fear is because it is offered as a "game" most people (especially kids) wont be able to see past the immediate goal of catching the thing...I therefore think the activity should be banned or the people running the "game" should be forced to come up with some education system or warning to teach exactly what "winning" requires from the winner. even more so with very high maintenance pets like turtles!! with all their UV lamps etc...nightmare.
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I find the goldfish catching game? 2012/2/1 00:30
Since I live in Kansai.
It is the Gion Matsuri of Kyoto that you can do it.
The Gion Matsuri is performed July 14 to 16.
There are many goldfish catch game stalls.
by Nimuuu rate this post as useful

reply to this thread