Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Height in Japan 2012/2/1 11:45
Okay, so I plan on going to Japan some time soon. The thing that bothers me the most is my height. I'm 14 and 6'1". Would I stick out in a crowd?

Around how tall would Japanese teens (male and female) be around my age?
by Yuushi (guest)  

... 2012/2/1 13:30
Yes you will "stick out", but unless you are of Asian origins you will probably stick out even if you are 5'3"!

You are obviously tall and yes you are likely to be amongst the tallest, if not the tallest, around people your age, but don't let something like that worry you when you are going to Japan.

I'm taller than you, with blonde hair so of course I stick out in Japan too, but it has never been a problem. When I spent time at a Japanese school all the other schoolkids were very friendly/accepting, plus it was great when we were doing basketball, athletics or swimming at school!

I'm not sure if you are going on school exchange, or just for a holiday, but I'm sure you will be fine during your time in Japan.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Height in Japan 2012/2/1 14:28
My son when he was 14, was about 5'8" or 9". Of perhaps about 200 kids in the same grade, may be there were 3 kids in that height range. I guess the average for 14 year old boys is about 5'5".

My son is now 17 and about 6' but he doesn't really stick out as he used to.

It's not going to cause a problem in you social life so don't worry. Would only work positively if not neutral.

A word of caution; watch your head when visiting old houses or old subway stations. They are just not designed for tall people.
by Harry Takeuchi rate this post as useful

Re: Height in Japan 2012/2/1 18:29
"A word of caution; watch your head when visiting old houses or old subway stations. They are just not designed for tall people"

Probably the best advice ever! lol

Doorways in most houses not built in the last several years will be 175cm tall (5'9")
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

Re: Height in Japan 2012/2/2 02:56
kyototrans: Re watching your head. Aint that the truth. That will probably the biggest height related problem that Yuushi has. On the other hand, I'm 6ft and I can stand at the back of a Japanese crowd and see clearly :)
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Height in Japan 2012/2/2 08:36
Doorways in most houses not built in the last several years will be 175cm tall (5'9")

I think it has been 180 cm for many decades if not centuries. This is very convenient for me because I am 179 cm. But not for my friend who is 185 cm and hit his head multiple times in doorways of older rooms when he visited Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread