Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hotel dining package in Tokyo 2012/2/3 04:29
My Husband and I would like to stay at the Conrad Hotel in Tokyo and we are curious if it is a good deal to purchase the hotel package that includes breakfast and dinner. The difference in price is large, but I wonder if the quality is also substantial... What do you think? The difference is as follows:

30000 yen ( no breakfast or dinner)
54000 yen ( breakfast and dinner)
by Alyson (guest)  

Re: Hotel dining package in Tokyo 2012/2/3 06:54
The meals will almost certainly be more expensive if purchased separately than if purchased as part of the package.

Therefore, it depends on whether you are personally interested in the specific meals that are included in the package or not.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel dining package in Tokyo 2012/2/3 10:01
For 24,000JPY, you'll almost feel compelled to return to the hotel for dinner, possibly missing out on great eateries and definitely missing out on precious time in Tokyo. I suggest skipping that meal deal and heading out to explore what Tokyo has to offer!
by John (digs Japan) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel dining package in Tokyo 2012/2/3 10:58
To give you an idea: most buffet breakfasts in Japan hotels are around 2000-2200 Yen. They are substantial, and we sometimes indulge, at the separate cost, if we have a long day of travel ahead of us, or a day when we know stopping to find a lunch would be difficult/time consuming etc
BUT having said that, for the remaining 20000 yen you would be better going "local": we have wonderful meals in Japan for between 10% (usual) and 25%(splurge) of that cost
It is also limiting to have to be back at a specific time for dinner.(Ryokans not withstanding: thats a whole different scenario)
The train system in Japan is so good, we often have an early dinner wherever we are, and travel home afterwards.
My suggestion would be to avoid the package, have the buffet breakfast if it suits on occasions, and eat wherever for dinner.
Have fun!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel dining package in Tokyo 2012/2/3 12:03
Well, it certainly depends on the content of the breakfast and dinner package!

Does that include a unique experience at Gordon Ramsay? If so, it might very well be worth it?

However, if you are in Tokyo do realize that you can have dining experiences from many 2-3 star chefs including Joël Robuchon. So perhaps you should base your decision on of whom you are a fan and whose food restaurant you'd like to experience most.

Although the Conrad might be an exception in order dine at Gordon Ramsay, I usually prefer to dine outside the hotel but again, at a hotel of this level, you will be tempted to stay in and enjoy all the luxurious comfort.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel dining package in Tokyo 2012/2/6 06:49
Completely agree with John here. Head out to the local sushi-bar, the local yakitory-eatery, the local tenpura, or what have you.

If you're sticking with your hotel for all meals, you won't experience "true" Japanese food. It's much more fun and adventure to just go out and accidentally walking into a great restaurant.

If you're worried at all: don't. There are thousands (seems to me) of restaurants in Tokyo, something for everyone. Staff probably won't speak English, but you can just point at the menu, because the menus are almost always full of pictures.

I'm sure we can recommend some great places if you're still uncertain.
by thany rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel dining package in Tokyo 2012/2/7 16:00
I would hate to go to Tokyo and have to eat food designed--but not actually cooked---by a European chef, especially one like that annoying show off Ramsay...
There are several thousands of interesting restaurants in Tokyo.

By the same token, why not look for a more Japanese hotel? Or do they have Japanese suites at the Conrad? with true Japanese style baths, futons that the maids set on tatamis in the late afternoon etc.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread