Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sumo Arena seats - which side? 2012/2/11 10:21
I recall when we went to a sumo match a few years ago, I learned which arena section would have the better (face-on) view. I don't remember, and can't find it now. We plan to go to the March Osaka tournament. Can you advise?
by rootles  

Re: Sumo Arena seats - which side? 2012/2/11 11:00
The direction does not matter during the bout as the wrestlers turn and jump around quickly. But during the tachiai, the crucial initial "face-off" when the two wresters crash into each other, a seat in the north will give you the best view, opposed to the western and eastern seats, which will give you a good view of one of the two wrestlers' behinds. When watching from the south, you will have a good view onto the back of the referee. North is considered the frontal view. That is also from where members of the Imperial family or other honored guests are watching from.

Apart from the direction, the closer you can sit to the dohyo, the better you will be able to see.

Here is a map of the stadium that illustrates the directions:
http://www.buysumotickets.com/uploads/osaka_seating.jpg
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Sumo Arena seats - which side? 2012/2/11 14:12
Thanks. That's exactly what I needed to know. I assume it's shown like a standard map, so "north" is labeled "front"
by rootles rate this post as useful

Re: Sumo Arena seats - which side? 2012/2/11 16:24
Yes, front is north.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread