Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Electricity in Japan 2012/2/22 09:09
Hai,, the electric in japan is 100 volt,, so if i go Kyoto and Osaka ,,, can i use my electric things,, like cs era charger and haid dryer?.. Is There anything i need to bring? TKs..

by apue  

Re: Electricity in Japan 2012/2/22 14:51
where are you coming from? That will affect whether you will need any adapters/converters to use your current electric items.
by rootles rate this post as useful

apue give more information 2012/2/24 09:31
apue - I hope you will post more information so the forum can help you. Perhaps you already found out your answer.
by rootles rate this post as useful

Re: Electricity in Japan 2012/2/24 16:38
The link in the name mentions that Apue is residing in Indonesia and as far as I know, Indonesia uses 220V.

A lot of modern chargers (phone, camera, etc) will work, usually there is a mention on them 100-220V 50-60Hz. A 220V hair dryer, straightener, etc. will typically not work. Note that hair dryers are usually provided in hotels if you plan on staying in hotels.
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

Re: Electricity in Japan 2012/2/24 22:23
Judging from your profile and your question in Thread #89501, you are using electric appliances in a region with 220 V power supply in Indonesia.
The frequency is 50 Hz in Indonesia, I suppose. However in western Japan including Kyoto and Osaka, the frequency is 60 Hz. This difference may cause a problem as to an electric appliance whose mechanism includes a motor, a timer or a fluorescent lamp.
A transformer can change voltage but cannot change frequency.

So, as Hoshisato points out, if your electric appliance has a label showing it's good for 100 - 220 V and 50 | 60 Hz, it is expected to work in western Japan.
(I don't recommend using a fan, a hair dryer or so which has a frequency switch, because if the switch is rusty or broken, the appliance may not work properly.)

A transformer has a limit to input electric power, which is expressed with a unit W or VA.
I recommend keeping the total of nominal power consumption of connected appliances under 80 percent of the limit.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Electricity in Japan 2012/3/24 00:43
Thanks for all the information,, thanks alot,,
by apue rate this post as useful

reply to this thread