Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Chinese, Japanese or Korean? 2012/2/25 16:49
May have to pick up one of these 3 languages.
I'm taking Hindi and Urdu classes at the moment and speak Romanian, Italian and English.
However, as Hindi and Urdu require a lot of time, I would prefer to pick up whatever language is easier. So I would like to know which of these 3 languages has an easier grammar, easier script, is more phonetic and logic. So which would be the one that requires less amount of information memorized ?
Thanks
by Andreea (guest)  

Re: Cinese, Japanese or Korean? 2012/2/26 02:55
well i am starting to learning japanese and am not very far at all and also a couple of days ago i wanted to see how hard korean is and, this is my opinion so it may not be right because I'm a beginner but korean is the simplest i would think. it easier to remember the characters and there's not that many as well.
by Shebba aka Sterling (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cinese, Japanese or Korean? 2012/2/26 03:16
Yes, I read in more than one place that Korean is the easiest among these 3 but I would go for Japanese. I like their culture and it can also be of some help while Korean I don't really know how/if it will help. Chinese I guess I'll pass for now...
by Andreea (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cinese, Japanese or Korean? 2012/2/26 14:23
As far as I know:

- Chinese language follows the same grammar pattern as some of the European languages, such as the word order of: subject, verb, then object. Japanese and Korean are said to be similar in grammar, and follow the pattern of subject, object, then verb, for example.

- Chinese pronunciation is quite difficult, at least for me - the same "sound" as written in alphabets would have four different "tones" - flat, going up, going down, etc.

- Japanese pronunciation is relatively easy if you know Spanish - five clear vowels in combination with consonants. I don't know about Korean, but some of my Japanese friends who follow Korean lessons say it's not difficult in terms of pronunciation.

- When it comes to writing system, I believe that modern-day Korean language uses only the phonetic writing system. Chinese uses the full kanji (what you might call "Chinese characters") writing. Japanese uses the combination of phonetic writings (two sets) and kanji together.

They all have their characteristics, so it might be better to choose what interests you.
(Coming from a Japanese person here :))
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Cinese, Japanese or Korean? 2012/2/28 23:53
Korean has far and away the easiest (most logical) writing system; the symbols for similar sounds are related to one another in a sensible pattern, because the writing system was developed out of whole cloth, so to speak, rather than "just growing."

Japanese pronunciation is easier than Korean, in that there are fewer vowel sounds and fewer consonants, as well. If your first language is English, some of the Korean consonants are difficult to distinguish, such as "t" and "tt" (not the same as t/tt in Japanese).

I have been informed that Chinese sentence structure is easier, but I think Japanese sentence structure is more flexible than you may be told. I can't make my ears (or brain?) hear everything that is going on in spoken Chinese (any of its variations), so I will never be well informed about it. Of course, Chinese has over a billion speakers and this is probably the "Chinese century," so it's worth consideration despite the difficulties.
by wata geiru rate this post as useful

Re: Cinese, Japanese or Korean? 2012/2/29 21:56
It's also worth noting that since Hindi-Urdu is an Indo-European language (like English and Romanian), if you find studying it to be time-consuming, you should prepare yourself for MUCH more time-intensive study to learn an eastern Asian language that is unrelated to any you now know. So if you do need to learn an eastern Asian language, it probably would be sensible to select one you can enjoy while you are slogging along through the learning process; and it sounds like that, for you, would be Japanese.
by wata geiru rate this post as useful

Re: Cinese, Japanese or Korean? 2012/3/14 08:13
Well Chinese is the most spoken language in teh world and China has a massive and growing economy. For business, Chinese is the way to go.
by j814wong rate this post as useful

Re: Cinese, Japanese or Korean? 2012/3/14 14:26
Thank all for your answers.
Hindi-Urdu are not easy but I really enjoy the learning process and love the Urdu (Nastaliq) script.
Cinese may be the one to pick up if interested in doing business in the area but that's not for me.
I'll have to choose between Korean and Japanese if I get into the program....or just pick up both. :)
by Andreea (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread