Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ticket culture in Japan a live show 2012/2/28 01:30
Hi. I want to go see Morrissey in Hiroshima and I would be coming from New York to do so for just one show. I already have a Japanese friend to buy the ticket online as I don't have a Japanese mailing address nor can I read Japanese.

However,she read the fine print for me and it says that you receive a number according to when you purchased the ticket and that number determines who enters the concert first. I understand the ethics of fairness underlying the system and have no problem with it, but as we are in NYC, the server is further away and we may not purchase an early entry ticket.

For Morrissey, I usually start lining up around 6 am for an 8 pm show to ensure that I get in first and close to the stage. But with this system in place, that seems pointless. How does it work exactly? What if the ticket-holder who's first according to the system doesn't show up at doors opening? Do we all wait for him or her? I don't understand the logistics. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
by theodosy75 (guest)  

Re: Ticket culture in Japan a live show 2012/2/29 11:04
Yes that's the system here for most concerts. They don't call out the numbers one by one, but in groups. For example by hundreds, or fifties. If the person is not there when their number is called it doesn't matter, they can enter anytime after their number has been called.

As for getting close to the front, dont stress so much about that coz being a foreigner you should find this extremely easy. You won't be able to get to the front row, but if you politely say sumimasen you will find everyone will let you through.....very unlike any concerts back home!!!
by Bek (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ticket culture in Japan a live show 2012/2/29 18:35
You won't be able to get to the front row, but if you politely say sumimasen you will find everyone will let you through

Really? I'm sure those everyone will be frowing at your back!

I've never been to a Morrissey show, but I try to study the floor map in advance and aim whatever fence there is. If you end up being clinging to that fence, that means no one will be standing right in front of your nose. The mixer's area is a good option.

Anyway, all you have to do is to make sure you're queuing at the time the gates open. The queues are usually separated into sections according to your number.

Mind you that your number will be called out in Japanese, as mentioned, like "Those from number 1 to 10, step up to this line please." so you may want to ask the person queuing in front of you for assistance.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ticket culture in Japan a live show 2012/2/29 22:45
Nothing special to it. As it seems this one is "all standing" tickets, so by the time the door opens, people would have been waiting around in the waiting hall, and probably the staff at the door calls something like "numbers 1 through 10 (or 50) please come to the door" and people line up to get in. They will check the number on your ticket.

If someone with a number isn't there by the time their numbers are called, they might call another time, then proceed to the next batch of numbers.

This system must be in place so that people don't have to line up in the morning for an evening concert. I've seen it in small theaters and other places. All you have to do is be sure to be there by the time the door opens :)

I don't think I would worry too much about the distance from the server. Even for locals, it's a matter of luck (for some very popular concerts) if one gets through at the sales launch time or not.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Ticket culture in Japan a live show 2012/3/2 11:25
Thank you to everyone for your very helpful information. I appreciate your having taken the time to explain the system more. Actually, my friend entered me into a pre-sale lottery and I won a ticket. She seems to think the number is low, but we won't know till two weeks before the show so I would like to know before I go. I guess I'm worried because I'll be an outsider and also because I can't speak Japanese. Of course it's my responsibility to learn so I guess I'll pay for lessons in numbers. I would never push my way to the front. That's why I line up so early in the morning. Don't people line up early if they are in the first batch of 100 or so? I've seen Morrissey 67 times in 11 countries but I've never seen him in Japan so this is a big deal for me. Thanks again and sorry for no paragraphs - typing on my phone.
by theodosy75 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ticket culture in Japan a live show 2012/3/2 17:00
The OP wrote;
Don't people line up early if they are in the first batch of 100 or so?

I think our posts have been a bit misleading. It's not like a whole block of the first 100 people are called and randomly brought in.

You are actually told something like, "Those from 50 to 100, step up to this line please." and then after several minutes, "Alright, the first 50 people have now been cleared. Those from 50 to 60 please queue in order along this wall."

So basically, you will queue in the proper order of your number. And as I've mentioned, when queueing in sections behind number boards, before your number is ever called out, you are expected to be queueing in the order of your number.

So it's like this. You show up. You look for a board incluging your number. You either count the people or you just ask someone in the queue, "What number are you? (Nan-ban desuka?)" to learn where you're supposed to get in. You are then free to move around until your number is called. Once the number is called, you know which person goes before you or after you. But if you get mixed up, you can ask again.

You may want to hold your ticket up so that it will be easier for others to check your ticket promptly. Staffs may say something like, "Oh, you belong further forward in the line. Right here, please."

I hope you understand what I mean. By the way, at some concerts most of the audience are more eager to go to the bar and restrooms. In this case, you have a better chance to rush to your favorite spot. AND for this reason, I make sure I get my last restroom time just before the calling out starts.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread