Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Reentering japan 2012/3/3 16:52
A friend of mine was imprisoned in Jail for 5yrs for taking marijuana in Japan and was realized with certificate stating she did exceptional well while serving for 5yearsand now it had been 9years. She doesn't have any criminal record since, but now she wants to go to Japan to visit freinds. How can she re-apply for reentering Japan??
by Dontcry (guest)  

Re: Reentering japan 2012/3/3 18:13
It depends on her nationality. I recommend her to inquire at the Japanese embassy in her country.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Reentering japan 2012/3/3 18:27
Thank u!! If you have any ideas I would be grateful. And I saw on some website that there is no way she can enter now! But in some it says after 5. Gerard she can so we are very confused. Anyway thank u very much
by Dontcry (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Reentering japan 2012/3/3 19:30
Dontcry,

My understanding is that the five-year rule often quoted applies to people who have been deported for overstaying or other immigration violations. Past criminal or drug-related offenses (and especially if they occurred while in Japan) are likely to prevent the person from re-entering Japan for a much longer time - if not indefinitely. Look at the problems someone as famous as Paul McCartney had trying to get back into Japan.
The only sure way would be to check with your nearest Japanese embassy, as Uji suggests. You've got nothing to lose by asking, but if your friend is from a visa-waiver country and just tries to enter the country again, I suspect there is a high probability that she could get stopped at the airport on arrival in Japan and be refused entry.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Reentering japan 2012/3/3 21:52
now she wants to go to Japan to visit freinds

Have her friends visit her.
She shouldn't waste money buying tickets to Japan. She won't be allowed back in.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread