Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Say my Chinese name in Japanese? 2012/3/9 09:26
Hi. My Chinese name is written as 黃A Can someone tell me how it would be pronounced in Japanese? In Chinese, it's pronounced as Wong Kwonghin.
by j814wong  

Re: Say my Chinese name in Japanese? 2012/3/9 17:35
Your name can be pronounced as Oh Kohken / Ou Kouken in Japanese.
黃 was replaced by and A was replaced by L officially in late 1940s.

means yellow and can be read as ou or sometimes as kou. (The Yellow River in China is written as and read as kouga.) Its reading of Japanese origin is ki. In order to mean the color itself, the nounF [ kiiro ] or the adjectiveF [ kiiroi ] is more often used.

L means broad and can be read as kou. Its reading of Japanese origin is hiro as in the adjectiveL [ hiroi ].

means the eaves of a structure and can be read as ken. Its reading of Japanese origin is noki. When read as ken, it is also used as a counter for houses, shops or so.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Say my Chinese name in Japanese? 2012/3/9 19:39
L is "Kou Kouken" in Japanese.
By the way, 黃(Wong) is not shown on my PC.
Perhaps this character is not in Japanese Kanji fonts.

And see also.
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+89116
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Say my Chinese name in Japanese? 2012/3/9 22:09
ajapaneseboy: L is "Kou Kouken" in Japanese.

Yes; kou sounds better for because ou is used for which means king.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Say my Chinese name in Japanese? 2012/3/10 15:04
So my name means broad yellow eaves in Japanese. Well it certainly sounds a bit silly. Well wikipedia says Wong means yellow but the similar Wang means king. Ive read stories of immigrants' names being improperly written into english for some. Since my parents say that our surname is derived from king, there may have been some sort of mixup with naming somewhere along the line.

But to a exclusively English speaker Kou Kouken sounds quite nice.
by j814wong rate this post as useful

reply to this thread