Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Criminal Record and visiting Japan 2012/3/10 20:26
I want to visit Japan in June with my friend, but he has a criminal record (one offense only) and spent a brief period last year in prison.

The offense was for violence (battery.) He served 6 weeks in prison (actual sentence was 3 months, but you serve only half in British prisons). He originally had a community order, but failed to complete it so went to jail for a brief period instead.

Will he be refused into Japan for this, and if not what are the possibilities of obtaining a work visa?

I've read that you wont be granted entry if you've been in prison for a year or more:

(iv) A person who has been convicted of a violation of any law or regulation of Japan, or of any other country, and has been sentenced to imprisonment with or without work for 1 year or more, or to an equivalent penalty. However, this shall not apply to those convicted of a political offense.

from this website: http://www.visaemon.jp/article/13694900.html

So the possibility of being granted entry as a tourist looks promising, but what about the possibility of being allowed to work and live there?

Thank you for your time,
Laurie
by Laurie01  

Re: Criminal Record and visiting Japan 2012/3/11 09:13
Most people / companies don't want to be associated with criminals in Japan. What kind of offence has been committed is irrelevant. So yes, it will be very difficult to find employment.
by Hoeski (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Criminal Record and visiting Japan 2012/3/13 17:08
I would recommend asking the Japanese embassy as it really boils down if he can visit or obtain a work visa for Japan with his record.
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

reply to this thread