Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Experienced Japanese speakers help 2012/3/13 12:39
Okay, can someone who really knows Japanese (please don't use Google Translate, it doesn't work) translate these? They are names of enemy characters in a video game, if that helps any. Oh, and it's pretty likely that some of these are puns, which could make them harder to translate.

ごようきスケルトン (A skeleton)
ササエタマエ (A person with a gaint head)
まっかんち (A red lobster)
とおせんぼフェンス (A road block sign)
はずれメタルさる (A metal monkey)
キョウデイ (Two enemies that are siblings)

If you need more information to translate these, ask and I'll see what I can do. Thank you so much!!
by AquaAzure (guest)  

Re: Experienced Japanese speakers help 2012/3/13 22:08
Those are neat puns - for example, the second one (with the giant head) reads "Please hold me upright/please support me" and at the same time the second half IS a real person's first name. It would take the creator of the characters (or in any case someone committed to these characters) to come up with English names for them :)
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Experienced Japanese speakers help 2012/3/14 00:10
First, thank you for your help!! Second, there's no need to make punny English names for these. I'm just looking for a mostly literal translation, along with an explanation of the Japanese pun, if possible. Does anyone understand the other names on the list?
Thanks again!!
by AquaAzure (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Experienced Japanese speakers help 2012/3/14 07:48
- "Go-youki skeruton" = "Mr. cheerful skeleton" "youki" means "cheerful," with "go-"added to make it sound more humorous.
- "sasae tamae" = "Hold me upright" "May I ask thee to hold me upright." At the same time, it is made to sound like a real name.
- "Makkanchi" = "Real red." "makka" means "very red," so I guess they added a suffix to make it into a nickname.
- "Toosenbo fence" = "Block-your-way fence."
- "Hazure metaru saru" = I don't know what the first "hazure" is supposed to mean here (I mean I know what the word can mean), it can mean something like "off" as in "come off the hook," or "missing the point." But it means "Metal monkey."
- "Kyoudei" = "Brothers." The normal word used for "brothers" is "kyoudai," but it crossed with the sentence ending "-dei" to make it sound a bit mannish.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Experienced Japanese speakers help 2012/3/14 08:11
Thank you so much! I really appreciate this!! And I'm really sorry to ask something else of you, but could you give advice on these?
こいもむ
おおこいもむし
I believe they mean something along the lines of "Younger Caterpillar" and "Older Caterpillar" but there may be some punny significance to the "imo" part of caterpillar, which can be taken to mean "potato."
THANK YOU!!!
by AquaAzure (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread