Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Meeting invitation 2012/3/25 23:18
How do you say ''if you can spare some time, afterwards, can we meet for a little bit?''

Which is better?
(時間を割いてくれたら)
「後で少しでも会ってくれませんか?」
「後で少し会っても良いのでしょうか?」
「後で少し会っても高「ませんか?」

The other person is of a higher status than me, so I don't want to be rude, but I don't want to be too formal, either, because we're not exactly in a business relationship.

He's something between a boss & a pupil so I'm not really sure how to interact with him.
by ABC (guest)  

Re: Meeting invitation 2012/3/26 08:22
Out of the three, the first one is ok. (The second and the third ones are asking "is it OK I meet?" and a bit... clumsy.) But you are meeting with that person as you say those words, I would rephrase it to ask if "could you give me some time" rather than "can we meet."

If you are asking someone of a higher status than you, I would suggest:

お時間がありましたら、(If you have time) or もしできたら(if possible)
あとで少しお時間をいただけませんか (afterward, could you give me some time?)
or with an equal:
時間があったら、
あとで少しお時間をもらえませんか。
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Meeting invitation 2012/3/26 08:48
"He's something between a boss & a pupil".
It means you are teaching something, i.e. English to him or teaching a class that he is attending & learning (English)?
Are you a male or female?
For a neutral relationship knowing he is your boss but at the same time he is your seito & you are his sensei in a friendly term, この後、少し時間ありますか?
If you are a female, この後、少しお時間ありますか?
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Meeting invitation 2012/3/26 15:29
Thank you AK & ay!

AK--
I'm thinking of sending a text message or e-mail with that phrase, so would "お時間がありましたら、少しでも会ってくれませんか?" be alright?

ay--
I was teaching him English & helping him to translate some things, but it was casual (as in he didn't pay me, but his company would pay for dinner/lunch/snacks).

By the way, it's been a few years since we've met in person. Is "ご無沙汰しております" too formal?
I don't think he likes being formal since whenever we met, he always called me -chan & didn't use keigo. I used keigo & -san since he's older. Also, when I sent him an business-like message saying "お世話になりました (etc...)" he didn't reply, but later on when I sent him a message saying "good luck" & "時差ぼけですか(笑)(etc...)" he promptly replied.

by ABC (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread