Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Pronunciation 2012/3/26 21:19
Hey! I've been studying Japanese for a year or so and some time ago started watching Japanese tv shows and anime. I noticed that sometimes people pronounce 'ai' as 'ee'. Or at least thats how I hear it.

For example 食べたい sounds like 食べて〜 or 煩い as 煩せ〜

Am I hearing things or can you really say like that?

by helpless (guest)  

Re: Pronunciation 2012/3/26 22:59
Yes, a slang form of 食べたい is 食べてえ, and that of うざい is うぜえ. It is a rough-sounding guy's talk, though, so I would not recommend you to use it, but it helps with recognition, right? :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Pronunciation 2012/3/26 23:53
Slang plus mostly only guys use it...or at least I haven't heard a respectable girl or woman use it.
by another gaijin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Pronunciation 2012/3/27 06:41
You might also hear commonly, urusee(na)=urusai(うるさい)=shut up, sugee(na)=sugoi(すごい)= wow!, omeee=omae(おまえ)=hey, you!, etc.
There are many more but not polite form.
Also normally people try not to show their emotion in public but when a Japanese male gets angry, snaps or loses temper, his voice & speech change totally along with his facial expression. It is known that the original Tokyoite have had a short temper & tanka wo kiru(啖呵を切る). Be aware.
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Pronunciation 2012/3/28 03:46
Thank you for your replies! This was very helpful
by helpless (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread