Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can a male become a Geisha? 2012/3/27 11:23
The first Geisha were male, so can I become one? I have always loved the ways of geisha very much, and I can already play the Koto and do tea ceremony, plus I can do several traditional dances of Japan. Is there a way for me to become one? Without anything as drastic as a sex change 0.o
by Sparrow (guest)  

Re: Can a male become a Geisha? 2012/3/27 12:49
It's called Hokan or Taikomochi - the male Geisha.
by Lisa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can a male become a Geisha? 2012/3/27 13:32
Many of famous Kabuki-za, Takarazuka play performing actresses have been/are males, too.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can a male become a Geisha? 2012/3/28 14:12
amazinga, actresses at Kabuki-za? I was under the impression that only men performed in kabuki, no women, whether new half or otherwise. There are female characters, sure but the actors are male, and they are just playing a role, not actually transsexuals.
by utangenkigenki (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can a male become a Geisha? 2012/3/28 16:30
I think the OP says he has no intention to become a woman (no sex change) so that means exactly like kabuki, men dressing and behaving like a female and not transsexuals.
unless the OP means the concept of geisha but a male version (does that even exist?)
I guess a bit like an old fashioned equivalent of those shitsuji (butler) cafe staff in akihabara.
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can a male become a Geisha? 2012/3/29 05:26
Takarazuka actors playing male and female characters are ALL women. It is the female version of Kabuki (but Takarazuka shows are totally unlike Kabuki).

What does the OP means by a male Geisha? a man that will dress-up and look ike a woman OR a man dressed in formal Japanese male clothes that will play traditional music, sing, makes jokes, serve tea to male customers? or to female customers only?
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can a male become a Geisha? 2012/4/3 10:42
What I want to know now is, are there any sort of hanamachi in japan for male geisha? I do not mind dressing as a female, acting like a female, and being called a female. Nor do I mind dressing as male, acting male, and being called male. So with that in mind, where and how do I apply to become a male traditional entertainer (depsite the fact Im in new zealand) i can do traditional dance, I play traditional instruments, and speak japanese. not to mention, my sining is (not to sound egotistical, very very good.Tell me more about Taikomochi and hokan?
by Sparrow (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can a male become a Geisha? 2012/4/4 05:53
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can a male become a Geisha? 2012/4/4 10:14
not to mention, my sining is (not to sound egotistical, very very good.

Was that intentional or a typo? ;)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can a male become a Geisha? 2012/4/5 09:54
Yes it was a typo. unintentional. Im rubbish with these computer thingies.
by Sparrow (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread