Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

At the shrine: proper sequence 2012/3/30 22:42
Hi --

I've done this a few times, but being back in the States now can't seem to remember. How embarrassing! I know about "Ni hai ni hakushu ippai" (bow, bow, clap, clap, bow), but at what point do you ring the bell and give your offering / donation?

Also, about temizu: After you wash, does the water go into the rocks on the ground outside, or back into the temizu? And, if you wash your mouth, do you spit that water back out, or swallow?

According to this you use your left hand, but I've seen some people use the ladle: おわりに 左手に水をうけて口をそそぎます

Thanks,

- Dudley
by Shimada Jiei  

Re: At the shrine: proper sequence 2012/3/31 08:54
I have seen varying instructions at different shrines. So, I doubt that there is a nationwide standard.

I always ring the bell first (to get the kami's attention), followed by the money (I assume that further enhances the kami's interest), followed by the clapping and bowing.

Also, about temizu: After you wash, does the water go into the rocks on the ground outside, or back into the temizu?

Onto the rocks.

And, if you wash your mouth, do you spit that water back out, or swallow?

You spit it out.

According to this you use your left hand, but I've seen some people use the ladle: おわりに 左手に水をうけて口をそそぎます

I believe it is:
1) wash your left hand
2) wash you right hand
3) wash your mouth (holding the ladle in the right hand and the water in the left hand)
but I am not sure.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: At the shrine: proper sequence 2012/3/31 13:41
Garagara, Kaching, Clap, Clap, Pray & Bow (yoroshiku onegaishimasu, I hope you do your best for my wish) while still holding hands together.

With a handkerchief between the lips, wash usually the left hand first(right handed), dry, then the right, dry, then, pretend to take some water into your mouth(I wouldn't want my lips to touch the ladle that others used or drink the water nowadays), throw away the water, put the ladle back.

by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: At the shrine: proper sequence 2012/3/31 15:12
by xexstyle rate this post as useful

Re: At the shrine: proper sequence 2012/4/6 21:53
wow, great videos! thank you!
by DennisP rate this post as useful

reply to this thread