Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shinto shrine 2012/4/12 15:07
Hi, read about this somewhere and curious about it..May seem like a strange question, but is it true that it is considered disrespectful to the Gods if a woman enter a Shinto shrine when having menstruation, or when one has a unhealed wound? Thank u :)
by bubbles4cc  

Re: Shinto shrine 2012/4/13 11:45
Yes, but because of uncleanliness(impure).
This may be interesting comparison.
http://www.moshiach.com/tribes/ns/5b.html
Look under "Impurity During Menstruation and Bearing Child"
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinto shrine 2012/4/14 15:45
You are joking right?
Some or most of the gods are women so they know all about menstruation...

Surely you know that all gods and all religions have been created by humans trying to make a fast buck out of the fears of ignorant peoples?

Feel free to go in any shrine, temple, church and others without fearing such childish superstitions.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinto shrine 2012/4/14 16:39
Unfortunately, often these kind of rules are made up by men although I'm sure the kami would by fine with it; with the possible exception of Hachiman, tutelary god of warriors, maybe. :-)

I am usually the first to say that people should follow local custom and be respectful to local traditions anywhere in the world, but I think nobody will ever know and you should visit; as a tourist it is not like you can go back in a few days time.

If you still feel bad about having menses, what you could do is to avoid making an offering, don't ring the bells and don't say a prayer in front of the kami. Just visit the buildings, in other words.
by Kalle (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinto shrine 2012/4/15 07:27
Blood is considered pollution. Therefore, traditionally people with open wounds, menstruation etc. should remain off the shrine grounds. Many people don't know about this custom anymore or ridicule it as stupid superstition like Red Frog. But the fact is that there are people and shrines who respect this custom. It is up to you whether to respect or ignore it.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Shinto shrine 2012/4/15 23:35
Thank u all for posting answers to my question! Call it superstition or not, but I choose to follow such customs and belief. Really interesting custom, I'll take note of it :)
by bubbles4cc rate this post as useful

Re: Shinto shrine 2012/4/16 01:05
I think the first answer by ay explained it perfectly.

However, do note that today there are practically no shrine that prohibits those kind of people in their premises.

There are indeed rituals that certain people cannot participate in, but so far I've never seen a shrine that does not allow certain people to come for worship. There are even shrines especially for the pregnant.

By the way, I think Uji meant to write "Monkey See" instead of "Red Frog."
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinto shrine 2012/4/16 09:58
By the way, I think Uji meant to write "Monkey See" instead of "Red Frog."

It's ok, I'm pretty sure they're the same person.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Shinto shrine 2012/4/16 22:27
It's ok, I'm pretty sure they're the same person.

I wonder why you think so...
by xexstyle rate this post as useful

same person 2012/4/16 22:31
Oh, okay.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinto shrine 2012/4/17 00:55
It is between the god(s) and you. Remember Japan has a god for everything.
My grandfather was a Shinto priest and had many followers. In ritual gatherings, there were female priests present.
The foreigners are exclusive so you are immaterial to begin with. So nobody cares.
This is not to offend you but historically what the Shinto is sought by the Japanese worshipers.
Now you can see how the nationalism spread toward the wars in the past, Japan as the divine country after the mongols were defeated by the divine wind. But I digress.
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shinto shrine 2012/4/17 10:29
I wonder why you think so...

I have evidence ;). Actually, I think its pretty obvious from his posts.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread