Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Teaching Eng as a non-native speaker with Bc 2012/4/23 23:06
I'm a Dutch student following a studies called "English Teacher Program for High School and Professional Education". Right now I have to choose my minor and here I am terribly confused.

The first option is doing a minor in English which will eventually lead up to a Masters degree in English Education.
The second option is going abroad for half a year, with either Japan and England as an option.

I don't really know which one will benefit me better when I'm going to look for a job in Japan. Option 2 is more expensive, but I can show that I have experience (and then which is better England or Japan?) while option 1 will give me a deeper knowledge of English.

I'm really at a loss!
Anybody experience as non-natives, or some good advice?
by Rubine  

Re: Teaching Eng as a non-native speaker with Bc 2012/4/24 13:55
As most Language Schools in Japan do not expect you to speak Japanese if you want to teach english, I guess I would go with the first option. Or then with the second option, but in england to improve your English
by blubb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Teaching Eng as a non-native speaker with Bc 2012/4/24 23:07
I'm not a non-native Japanese speaker, I'm a non-native English speaker :P
by Rubine rate this post as useful

Re: Teaching Eng as a non-native speaker with Bc 2012/4/25 08:06
Option 1! The master degree factor will easily outweigh any leverage you might gain from the (short) experience. Think long-term.
by SEA monster (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Teaching Eng as a non-native speaker with Bc 2012/4/26 09:23
Sorry for the blunt question, but is your English at a level (in terms of pronunciation as well) considered "native" (English speaker)? At most English conversation schools in Japan, the first thing that they look for is that you ARE a native speaker of English, if not, whether you've received your education (12 years) in the English language as the media (to be considered "having grown up IN English").

Majoring in English teacher program sounds more academic than what those schools in Japan re looking for. Of course, if your aim is to teach English at a very professional and academic level, there will be a way for a career, but not easily in Japan and not easily among those English conversation schools anyway. That sounds more like starting out teaching English in the Netherlands first, then coming on a research program after a thesis or two or three to a university in Japan.

You will need to think about what career path you are aiming to go for.
by Anonymous this time (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread