Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it okay to take pictures inside a mall? 2012/4/24 14:37
I've read in many posts about taking pictures of and with individuals, but how about objects/shops in a mall? For example, I want to go to Akihabara and take photos of the figures in the glass cabinets. I am aware that there could be "no photos" signs outside the shop, but what is your experience?

Thanks.
by moochi2000 (guest)  

Re: Is it okay to take pictures inside a mall? 2012/4/24 15:31
moochi2000,

Shops and shopping malls invariably have signs up prohibiting photography, but it is unlikely that anyone will say anything if you are just taking snaps with friends, or look like a tourist taking general photos. If you appear to be taking photos of other people without their permission or of products on display, however, there is a fairly high probability that you will be asked to stop. The extent to which policies are enforced will vary from shop to shop, but discount and electrical stores seem to get quite edgy about people photographing pricetags for comparison with other stores, and clothes store shop assistants can also often get snooty about people photographing products or pricetags.
In Akihabara, many otaku-oriented stores actually have "shooting is allowed"[sic] signs up, which makes a welcome change, but if particular items or showcases are explicitly marked as "photography prohibited", you really should respect this.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it okay to take pictures inside a mall? 2012/4/25 12:31
And don't use a flash as it will reflect on the glass, spoiling the photo but also attract attention.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it okay to take pictures inside a mall? 2012/4/25 13:15
Thanks everyone, I will keep that in mind. I Lol'ed at the latest post, my nickname is monkey so I found it quite coincidental =p
by moochi2000 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it okay to take pictures inside a mall? 2012/4/26 00:29
I think it depends a lot on what type of mall your are in and whether you are taking a lot of pics. I've spent close to 5 years in Japan and I've rarely seen a no photo sign in shopping areas but I don't go much to the flashy shops that attract foreign tourists. I've taken photos in dozens of shops and shopping arcades. The only time I can recall someone telling me to stop was at souvenir stand in Matsushima where I think the guy was trying to protect his special Helly Kitty towels.

Take a pic of something you are interested in then put the camera away. Buy something there if it's affordably priced. e.g. I've taken pics showing the amazing variety of goods in conbini but I wouldn't dream of taking a picture inside and then walking out without at least buying something.
by katakanadian rate this post as useful

reply to this thread