Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Arriving gift 2012/5/2 03:24
Hi,
this summer I'm going to Fukuoka to learn japanese,and I read that it's appropriate to give a gift
I'm staying in a dormitory, so I'm not sure to whom I have to give it to,to the responsable of the dormitory or to the japanese school? or both?
Is it best to bring sweets or something not eatable?
by Katrin1996  

Since no one seems to be reponding 2012/5/4 16:41
Katrin1996,

I have no experience with dorms, but speaking from common sense, I think it would be a good gesture to bring small gifts even though some students may not always do so.

A moving-in gift is typically expected to be about 500 to 1000 yen per gift. A lot of locals give things like pretty hand towels, fancy-looking tea, preservable sweets or a set of those.

Give one to the person responsable of the dormitory, your roommate if you have one, and perhaps to the people in your neighboring rooms, as it's better to get to know your neighbors before you happen to annoy them with any kind of noise or what not.

Hope you have a nice stay.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Arriving gift 2012/5/5 02:35
Uco,
Yes it think indeed that it's a good idea to give it to different people

Thank you for your help
by Katrin1996 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread