Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan restaurants and knives and forks 2012/5/9 06:05
Hello,

I am travelling alone to Japan soon and I was wondering whether a majority of restaurants cater for the westerners that cannot use chopsticks. I have tried to use them but I am hopeless!

Thanks
by hammundo (guest)  

Re: Japan restaurants and knives and forks 2012/5/9 08:54
You might always consider keeping something like a Light My Fire spork (in its own case for hygiene) in your daybag. That way you're prepared for all eventualities with minimum trouble to anyone else. You can always wash it in a restroom as needed.

They're handy to have for travel in general actually, in case you get stuck eating takeout in a hotel room unplanned.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan restaurants and knives and forks 2012/5/9 09:26
It's better to learn to use chopsticks if you are going to be there for a great length of time. The key to learning is to remove the crutch.

Places that offer silverware depends on what they serve and if the establishment feels there's a need. If they sell steak(fork/knife)/curry(I've never seen it not served with a large spoon) or have English menus then they probably have some form of silverware. If it's a local shop that only sells ramen or soba, the best you'll get is a wooden spoon.
by draper rate this post as useful

Re: Japan restaurants and knives and forks 2012/5/9 10:09
I am travelling alone to Japan soon and I was wondering whether a majority of restaurants cater for the westerners that cannot use chopsticks.

It depends on what types of restaurants you intend to frequent. Restaurants that serve western dishes usually provide silverware in addition to chopsticks. Its not that they are catering to westerners per se (except maybe in touristy areas), but that they provide silverware that is appropriate to the dish.

So you can expect to be given silverware at family restaurants, steakhouses, Italian restaurants and French restaurants for example without having to ask. But some types of Japanese restaurants may not provide them unless you ask (and there is the chance that they might not have them at all).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread