Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Use of dairy in Japanese food 2012/5/16 06:47
I have Crohn's and dairy seems to have a negative affect on me especially butter or cream, milk or cheese are not so bad but I try to avoid them.
Are there any foods that are likely to contain dairy and that I am best to avoid while I am in Japan?

Thanks
by Sarah (guest)  

Re: Use of dairy in Japanese food 2012/5/17 04:50
It depends on what you are eating, but generally there is very little use of dairy in japanese cooking. Even their french cooking is light on dairy (although it does have it so I wouldnt recommend it for you). In fact, we've had soy milk versions of creme caramels in japan that are hugely better than cow milk versions, also their version of an iced coffee is a glass of cold black coffee with ice in it, so you are going to probably have better choice in Japan than where you live.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Use of dairy in Japanese food 2012/5/17 04:52
sorry, just to clarify, I dont know whether the shop bought creme caramels are cow milk or not, the soy milk one I got at a ryokan

Re: Use of dairy in Japanese food 2012/5/17 07:01
Thanks I did not think they used much dairy, do you know if they make ice cream from soy milk as well. I would love it if I could eat dessert.

I don't suppose anyone knows how I can ask in Japanese if there is dairy in a meal or if it is soy milk?
by Sarah (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Use of dairy in Japanese food 2012/5/17 10:27
I am sure that the usual green tea ice cream is made with cows milk, and that soft serve would have milk solids in it. A lot of traditional desserts wouldnt have any dairy in them (jellies and dango, mochi etc) but you also get a lot of cakes that I expect would. You wont go hungry for desserts though, you can buy sweets everywhere.

Re: Use of dairy in Japanese food 2012/5/17 13:29
私は乳製品にアレルギーがあります

Print the Japanese above. It says I have allergies to the dairy products.

If you show this, they will understand you and recommend what you should/should not eat.

Tofu ice cream still contains some cream. Forget about it.

Sushi, wagyu, ramen, udon, soba, oden, curry, sukiyaki, yakisoba, yakitori, okonomiyaki, dango, youkan, tokoroten, manju, green tea, molon soda, etc, they are all dairy free.

by Jay Key (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Use of dairy in Japanese food 2012/5/18 11:46
It is very easy to avoid dairy in Japan.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread