Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Flinging chopsticks 2012/5/16 15:11
okay sooo I really have only eaten twice in my life with chopsticks yet it seems more like war than dinner or lunch then since I usually send the food propelling through the air to some unknowing destination (Im really clumsy) .
Would Japanese find it rude of me to ask for knives and forks to eat with? Im really afraid of flinging someone against the forhead with pre-consumed ramen.
by Zandria  

Re: Flinging chopsticks 2012/5/16 18:23
It will be OK to ask for a knife, a fork, or a spoon (or any combination thereof) so that you can enjoy eating :) The other day I was accompanying a group of non chopstick users, and one of them was really struggling with them - it was at a small ramen noodle shop, but I asked for one for him, and, yes, they came up with plastic fork and spoon.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Flinging chopsticks 2012/5/17 01:55
It's understandable that you still haven't figured out how to use chopsticks after two meals... If you plan to stay in Japan for longer than a week, maybe you should just practice before you go. It's really not that hard once you figure out how to hold them correctly.
by Smithers rate this post as useful

Re: Flinging chopsticks 2012/5/17 02:53
you might even ask one of the servers or cooks to show you how to use them properly if it's not busy around.

i used to do this as a conversation starter with cute servers whenever someone i knew from overseas came to japan.. great way to make nice new friends
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Re: Flinging chopsticks 2012/5/17 04:48
Zandria,

No, they won't. By the way, I'm quite concerned about what kind of business you are trying to do here as you seem to be very inexperienced on cultural differences and human relationships.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Flinging chopsticks 2012/5/18 04:40
If it worries you, then start practicing now so you don't have to deal with the situation.

No one will consider it rude if you can't eat with chopsticks, but I'd think it would give a good impression if you COULD. Since you say you're supposed to be doing business then it's in your interest to make as favourable an impression as possible.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Flinging chopsticks 2012/5/18 04:59
I think that the OP was having a little joke, I like your style, BTW. I recently watched a japanese doco which was tongue in cheek, it also demonstrated the correct way to break apart your chopsticks (break from 1/3 up, pull directly apart so as not to splinter). It then went on to show various style of chopstick (hashi) breaking, it was quite funny. I pretty much agree with the other comments - no one will think less of you if you ask for a fork, but a lot of the time asians generally are impressed if you have a go. There is no reason why you cant cut up your dinner then eat it with chopsticks to practice, but there is a triick with ramen to make sure it doesnt flick around, essentially you slurp away on it but keep steering it with the chopsticks.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Flinging chopsticks 2012/5/18 17:12
At some small restaurants (small family-run soba or ramen restaurants for example) you may find that they don't actually have a knife and fork to give you. It's probably worth carrying a set of travel cutlery if chopsticks give you that much trouble.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Flinging chopsticks 2012/5/19 17:49
Mother-in-law doesn't have a fork in her house and only one tea spoon. It's ohashi all the way.I imagine some old style food places may not have them either.
But OP seems to be enjoying these joke posts
by Elyse (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread