Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Jokes, politics and positions 2012/5/16 15:21
So since i will be going to Japan soon Id like to know what jokes are appropriate? From my country we joke about allot of things (espessially about tragic happenings, natural disasters ens.) We espessially enjoy joking about ourselves and others as in friendly banter, now I wont joke about anyone I really dont know well personaly but I do joke about myself alot, will they find me crazy?
Also I once visited Canada and had all these weird questions from the kids in school like "DO you ride on lions to school?", "why do you mass murder Blacks?" (wich never even happened)Do I need to prepare myself for questions like these?
by Zandria  

Re: Jokes, politics and positions 2012/5/16 19:25
Now I see that you are coming for a business meeting - at least during those business meetings, no jokes about natural disasters and tragic things, please, seeing Japan has had enough of natural (and other) disasters lately.

For joking about oneself, just see how the atmosphere develops - it might really simply stay "business-like," or it might get more relaxed.

I don't think you'll get questions like those...
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jokes, politics and positions 2012/5/17 04:09
The people are not used to self-defecating or jokes, especially in business setting. Avoid it. But if you go out drinking afterward, it is a different story depending on how formal or drunk they get.
Joke about your height, if they are shorter.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jokes, politics and positions 2012/5/17 04:55
Zandria,

I once visited Canada and had all these weird questions from the kids in school like "DO you ride on lions to school?", "why do you mass murder Blacks?" (wich never even happened)Do I need to prepare myself for questions like these?

Of course you do. That's how kids are all over the world. I once had to explain to a 20 year old English punk that Japan doesn't produce heroin but imports them. And explaining that Japan is not Hong Kong is the norm.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Jokes, politics and positions 2012/5/17 09:33
self defecating...! perhaps self deprecating! lol

I wouldn't joke about people being shorter...
With jokes, it's very easy for meaning to get lost or misconstrued, perhaps aim for amiable rather than the being the jokester.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jokes, politics and positions 2012/5/17 11:13
For us foreigners, it is usually quite strange/funny, that Japanese do not seem to have the same kind of humor as most Westerns.
So while we already start laughing while telling the joke or lots of jokes that seem so obvious and very funny to us, leaves them with a big questionmark. Don't know why and have talked to many friends why this is the way it is...but I guess it must be a cultural/unexplainable thing :)

Please do not make fun in business meetings. You will embarass yourself! (but honestly speaking I assume your Japanese counterparts will not take you seriously anyway...too young, too inexperienced and not senior management)
by Diggy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jokes, politics and positions 2012/5/17 14:13
Zandria, based on all your questions, you should seriously reconsider coming to Japan...wait until you are a lot more mature.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jokes, politics and positions 2012/5/18 04:37
I can't think of a single business situation where launching into a barrage of personal questions and/or questionable jokes with people you are (presumably) trying to impress would be appropriate, to be honest.

And I say this as a Brit with a pretty self-deprecating/sarcastic/dark/dry sense of humour myself.

Just use common sense, basically. Keep that stuff for people you know, leave it at home otherwise.
by UK Traveller (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jokes, politics and positions 2012/5/19 20:49
You can be sure that jokes about any of Japan's recent disasters won't be appreciated. Unless you are offering sympathy about last year's tsunami and nuclear disaster it is better not to mention them at all.
by sdk90 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jokes, politics and positions 2012/5/22 15:53
I agree with Red Frog!! You've posted so many question which u can find answer with just using common sense or researching about Japanese culture!!
by Sushi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread