Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Seashell Shop (for collectors) 2012/5/17 17:01
Hi everyone, I am travelling to Japan in early June and hoped someone will know of a store that sells seashells (for a seashell collection not souviners). I will be in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto & Hiroshima. I can read from a previous post that Enoshima has been suggested but unfortuntely at this stage we do not intend to visit there.
Any help grately received!
by Tumnie (guest)  

Re: Seashell Shop (for collectors) 2012/5/17 22:45
Have you tried checking by the sea shore?
by snooch (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Seashell Shop (for collectors) 2012/5/18 04:41
Hi, just to reiterate, I'm looking for a seashell shop for collectors/members of Malacological clubs. If anyone can give some genuine help to this question it would be very much appreciated.

I am from New Zealand so acutely aware that sea shells can be found on the sea shore.
Thanks so much.
by Tumnie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Seashell Shop (for collectors) 2012/5/18 10:04
So you already know of a seashell shop in the Tokyo suburb of Enoshima, but you "don't intend to visit there"?

Perhaps you should specify how many minutes you're willing to travel from your hotel to visit a shop. (Enoshima is around 70 minutes from Shinjuku station.)
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Seashell Shop (for collectors) 2012/5/18 14:41
Wow. I've always found these forums to be very welcoming and helpful so dared to post a question. Have to say didn't expect these sort of responses.

No, given we have a fairly full Itinerary I was hoping someone could direct me to a shop in the cities I mentioned. Wasn't aware that posting was an invitation to be ridiculed. What a pity.

Re: Seashell Shop (for collectors) 2012/5/18 21:04
Sometimes people's answers may seem a bit harsh, but that may be because it's a foreigner's use of the language and may not convey its intended meaning. Some are downright ridiculous, yes. But don't be discouraged.

Have you ever gone to a sea shell collector website? Here's one with a database of people, 6 of which appear to be in Japan.

http://www.seashell-collector.com/mforum/forum.html

Perhaps you can contact them and they may be able to answer your questions. Perhaps it's a bit too specialized a topic for many answers here. And the 70 minute ride to Kamakura/Enoshima may not be a bad thing as there may not be too many options for you. You get a great view of Fujisan from Enoshima!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Seashell Shop (for collectors) 2012/5/18 23:03
Sorry about that Tumnie. I guess my "odd-ball" humour didn't come through in my post. But I was giggling as I wrote it, honest.

It was just a play off of the children's tongue twister "she sells sea shells by the seashore".

I didn't mean for it to make you feel unwelcome here.
by snooch (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Seashell Shop (for collectors) 2012/5/19 06:40
Thanks so much for the help in particular the link! I will definitely be contacting the Japanese clubs. Oddly I'd not come across that website in my internet searching but in hindsight I think my searches may have been far too specific.
I am looking for items for my father's collection for his 60th birthday and I'm sure the local clubs will help me :)

Yes, answers in forums can certainly be mixed or perhaps lost in translation but you've restored my faith in this one - thanks! We've certainly not ruled Enoshima in or out at this stage and we're not afraid to venture beyond our hotel ;)
Thank you!

Re: Seashell Shop (for collectors) 2012/5/19 09:04
Yes, sorry if my response came across as unnecessarily snotty. I guess my only point was that a 70-minute train ride in Tokyo isn't that big a deal, since just crossing to someplace on the other side of town might typically take 45 minutes.

Good luck with your search.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

reply to this thread