Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ski resort Niigata vs Nagano, pls recommend 2012/6/1 18:35
I'm going to Japan from Apr 8 to 12 next year. I had wanted to visit the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine route but seems very costly for my family or 4 adults and 2 kids. Since we'll be using the JR East Pass, I'm now trying to plan a visit to a ski resort whose journey is covered as much as possible by the pass. I know Gala Yuzawa is closest to Tokyo (do pass holders have to pay reservation fees by the way?), but I'm also considering Hakuba Happoone or Hakuba47 as I suppose these resorts will be more scenic since closer to the Alps. (Is is true?). I think the train journey there, though long, will be an enjoyment itself since it will be able to pass by alpine views minus the high cost of the Tateyama route. Can you advice whether my opinion is right? Is it worth going so far or the views at Gala Yuzawa just as nice? Which resort has more snow in April?

My other question, I noticed from the Gala Yuzawa website that visitors without ski/snowboards are not allowed to use the lifts, only gondola rides are allowed. Is this true with any ski resorts is Japan? Do you know of any ski resorts in Niigata/Nagano that allow those without ski/snowboards to ride on the lifts? I'm wondering why because I know that the Ice Flyer Chairlift in Mount Titlis Switzerland allows just anyone to ride on it, with or without ski/snowboards.
by Chan (guest)  

Re: Ski resort Niigata vs Nagano, pls recommend 2012/6/2 22:50
I think mid April is too late for skiing in either Gala or Hakuba... Most of the ski resorts in the areas are open until end of March as it depends on the weather. You had better watch close their schedule.

Why do you have to ride lifts without ski or snowboards? It is very common the lifts are used for skiers and boarders. Do you want to take photos? You should negotiate with them on site and see what happens if so.
by Jay Key (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ski resort Niigata vs Nagano, pls recommend 2012/6/3 00:52
I haven't been skiing or boarding in Japan, but I believe the majority of Ski resorts worldwide only allow skiers/boarders to use lifts because it keeps them moving. Without the proper equipment, they'd have to stop the lift to let you off. That means everybody on a lift at the moment you get off would have to be stopped. Another thing is they may be worried about safety. You should probably write an email their office if going on a lift without skis/board is your plan.

Ice Flyer Chairlift in Mount Titlis Switzerland is the exception not the rule.
by Smithers rate this post as useful

Re: Ski resort Niigata vs Nagano, pls recommend 2012/6/3 01:33
I'm from Malaysia and I don't know how to ski. No point renting the ski/snowboards as I don't even know how to balance myself on it. I just want to ride the lifts to higher altitudes to reach the snow and enjoy the views. The gondolas only get you to mid-mountain, and it is enclosed, so you don't get the feeling of 'flying in the air' like you get from riding on the lifts.

So, even if I'm paying for the ski pass, I'm not allowed to use the lifts without donning the ski or snowboards? Is that for safety reasons? I hope someone can provide me an answer.
by Chan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ski resort Niigata vs Nagano, pls recommend 2012/6/3 01:36
Ok, Smithers thank you. I just saw your answer.
by Chan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ski resort Niigata vs Nagano, pls recommend 2012/6/3 08:09
You should take a day to learn how to ski! It's really fun and easy to pick up by taking beginner lessons. Then you only get better and better with each day of skiing. Some of the popular resorts may even have English speaking instructors... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7A5AhYe_o0&t=4m11s
by Smithers rate this post as useful

Re: Ski resort Niigata vs Nagano, pls recommend 2012/6/3 09:33
So you'll have the JR East Pass and essentially just want to go somewhere to enjoy the view in the snow? Make the most of it and go to Tohoku! Hachimantai, Zao, Yamadera. Spend 2 or 3 nights there. Too easy.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ski resort Niigata vs Nagano, pls recommend 2012/6/4 11:47
Is it worth going so far or the views at Gala Yuzawa just as nice?

The views to Gala are not that spectacular. Its flat plains for most of the journey, and you don't really get into the mountains until the end. The views should be better along the way to Nagano.

Which resort has more snow in April?

Both should be good. Most resorts are open through April, and some are open into May. It depends on the year though, and they might close early. See these pages for typical open season:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7690.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6090.html

My other question, I noticed from the Gala Yuzawa website that visitors without ski/snowboards are not allowed to use the lifts, only gondola rides are allowed. Is this true with any ski resorts is Japan?...

...So, even if I'm paying for the ski pass, I'm not allowed to use the lifts without donning the ski or snowboards? Is that for safety reasons?

Yes, I believe it is a safety reason. And, as others have mentioned, this is typical of ski resorts in general. Usually the top of the chair lifts are not safe or friendly to those without ski equipment. There is no station nor trails to explore on foot. Most of the time you are essentially stranded at the top of the lift with nowhere to go. Then there's the problem of getting back down the mountain, as it is not easy getting on the lift to go back down.

Stick to places with gondolas which are made for non-skiers to visit.

I would also recommend heading to Zao, which has a nice gondola, plus a big area around the top that you can walk around. Its even better if the snow monsters are still around. The only problem is that you will need to take a bus in addition to the trains.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7927.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Ski resort Niigata vs Nagano, pls recommend 2012/6/4 12:00
I ski a lot around Niigata/ Nagano.

If you are doing this for sightseeing, then you are better off going to Hakuba.

There are a number of resort mountains there, and Goryu, Hakuba 47, Happo, and Tsugaike will running their lifts in April.

In additon, Happo and Tsugaike run lifts into the summer for hiking.
At Tsugaike, you can take the Gondola, followed by the ropeway (cable car) right the way up to the top. (the ropeway doesn't run in mid winter!!).
At Happo, you can take the goldola, then two chairs to the top.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread