Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Woodcraft and rental space in Kanto 2012/6/21 10:59
I'm American. Back home, I made handmade wooden pens at shop at my house. I'm living in Japan now, and am considering starting to make these same pens in Japan and sell them. Does anyone know of a store that supplies these pen making supplies?

Next, does anyone know of cheap ways to rent a workshop or even a portion of one? I don't have a lot of money, so I'm looking for something more affordable.
by cards569  

Re: Woodcraft and rental space in Kanto 2012/6/21 12:21
I used to make a lot of these pens myself, and I've seen the kits for sale at craft oriented stores such as Joyful Honda. I'd also try Tokyu Hands, or look around the internet.

Rental workshop space is not all that common (assuming you need the tools too) but I have seen them at stores such as Joyful Honda. Its probably cheaper to just buy your own minilathe though considering the time and transportation involved with rental workshops. They start around 12000 yen.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?__mk_ja_JP=%83J%83%5E%83J%8...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Woodcraft and rental space in Kanto 2012/6/21 12:28
Also, I didn't find many Japanese online stores that sold pen kits, and the ones that did had very poor selection. I did come across a few woodturning blogs and they mentioned buying their supplies from woodturnerscatalog.com in the US.

Re: Woodcraft and rental space in Kanto 2012/6/21 13:17
Right, I do plan on buying my own tools. I figure out the very least, they will be a tax right off, and its cheaper then buying. I haven't had much luck online, but I saw some space for rent at a local real estate office. But, the rent was about 60,000 a month in Saitama, which is a bit more than I can afford. Do you know of anywhere I could rent space, but not tools?

Also, I am considering just ordering supplies online from the US and shipping here to Japan.

Are rhere craft fairs around Kanto where I could sell these?

Thanks!
by cards569 rate this post as useful

Re: Woodcraft and rental space in Kanto 2012/6/21 14:30
Do you know of anywhere I could rent space, but not tools?

If you don't need to rent the tools then you can rent space virtually anywhere. The biggest problem will be the cost. Pen making doesn't really need a lot of workshop space though. Why not look into combining your living an working space. Houses with work space can be rented for not all that much more than apartments. You just gotta shop around.

Are rhere craft fairs around Kanto where I could sell these?

Yes, there are a variety of craft fairs and flea markets where you can sell. Most require you pay some sort of lot fee. Where will you be living?

Re: Woodcraft and rental space in Kanto 2012/6/21 15:16
Hi, thanks for your response!

The biggest problem will be the cost. Pen making doesn't really need a lot of workshop space though. Why not look into combining your living an working space. Houses with work space can be rented for not all that much more than apartments. You just gotta shop around.

==Exactly. I think you've got the a very good understanding of pen making and my dilemma. I considered combining work and living space, but I've got two main concerns with that. 1) Pen making creates a lot of dust and waste, I would be worried about how dirty my living quarters were. 2) The walls of Japanese apartments are notoriously thin. I'm worried that I would irritate the numbers, if I make pens where I live.

Yes, there are a variety of craft fairs and flea markets where you can sell. Most require you pay some sort of lot fee. Where will you be living?

===I'm not sure yet, there is a chance I may end up living around Takadanobaba, but I'm hoping to stay in Saitama City, probably Omiya. So, I feel like I could get to a fair about anywhere in the Kanto area,

Re: Woodcraft and rental space in Kanto 2012/6/22 09:45
1) Pen making creates a lot of dust and waste, I would be worried about how dirty my living quarters were.

Definitely, I would only consider this if there was a way to designate a separate work space, like say a rental house with some sort of merchant space. My friend was just shopping around for rental houses, and a few of them had rooms or outdoor spaces that would make a nice pen workshop. Perhaps you could find combination work/living space through a realtor. It may be more expensive than an apartment, but it will probably be cheaper than renting separate work and living spaces.

2) The walls of Japanese apartments are notoriously thin. I'm worried that I would irritate the numbers, if I make pens where I live.

I would not consider doing this in an apartment (and its probably against the rental agreement).

Just an aside, what visa will you be in Japan on? Pen making doesn't qualify for a resident visa.

Re: Woodcraft and rental space in Kanto 2012/6/27 17:45
Hello, and thank you for your response. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.

I'm actually currently in Japan on a student Visa, have been accepted to a University in Japan and will be staying here another few years.

So, how would you recommend finding an apartment that has access to some work space? I've been looking online but haven't really found anything. Perhaps your Japanese is better than mine.

Re: Woodcraft and rental space in Kanto 2012/6/28 12:06
Probably the easiest way is to visit a few realtors and tell them what you are looking for. Japanese will probably be needed.

reply to this thread