Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese name with specific meaning 2012/6/28 05:18
Hi,

My name is Virginia and I am moving to Japan soon. The problem is my name is unpronounceable. I went by Ben when I was younger but thought it might be better to use a more feminine name. Is there a name in Japanese that has the equivalent meaning?

Virginia means maiden, virginal, or lady. I appreciate any help and realize it would only be a nickname. I just hate hearing my name butchered and it would hopefully help people remember my name if it is not something so strange. I am pretty sure ­— is not a name...
by Virginia (guest)  

Re: Japanese name with specific meaning 2012/6/28 10:08
Excuse me but I don't find your name unpronounceable at all... is there anything particular about it? It might come out more like "ba-a-ji-ni-a" when said by Japanese speakers when speaking in Japanese, but nothing difficult about it.

Words like "shojo" (girl) or "lady" would not really make a good nickname, I must say...
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese name with specific meaning 2012/6/28 10:13
It really did not come out well when I was there. And that pronunciation is just... off to my ears. And yes, I know they make terrible nicknames, so I was wondering if there were any names along those lines for that reason.

Related: but what are the priests that divine names called? Might just look one up when I get to Japan...
by Virginia (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese name with specific meaning 2012/6/29 07:30
Have you considered going by a nickname for Virginia such as Ginny 'ji-ni' ƒWƒj or Gina ƒWƒi 'ji-na'? They may be easier to pronounce.
by Pirilampo rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese name with specific meaning 2012/6/29 07:39
Yes, but... eugh! There are no good 'Virginia' derivative nicknames. I would rather just go by Ben. If I can't find a good equivalent to my name, I want to go to a name picker to find out a good name ^^;

Re: Japanese name with specific meaning 2012/6/29 09:10
I don't think the Japanese pronunciation of Virginia is that off, but if it grates on your ears then I guess that's your curse.

I would recommend picking an English nickname that you are comfortable with and is easy to pronounce. Unless you look asian, a Japanese name will probably end up causing more confusion and need more explanation than just getting people to pronounce Virginia correctly in the first place. Then again, it does make a nice ice breaker, but I'm sure you'll tire of explaining to everyone you meet why you go by a Japanese name.

On a side note, Japanese people are familiar with Ben as a men's name so that may end up causing similar difficulties.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese name with specific meaning 2012/6/29 09:22
Thanks ^_^ I guess I will just go by Ben, I am used to it and have the explanation down flat. Thankfully, my last name is easy!

Re: Japanese name with specific meaning 2012/6/29 09:30
Ok, I'll bite. How did you get the nickname Ben from Virginia?
by snooch (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese name with specific meaning 2012/6/29 09:42
Long story short? I used to call myself Bah-gin-ya when I was a kid. My dorm parent's kid in High School (boarding school) could not say/remember Virginia so I thought on it. I repeated what I called myself over and over until I got Ben. I then went to Japan at 16, used that name again. No issue. When I got to college, used it as a nickname and have ever since. I have a fond attachment to it.

Re: Japanese name with specific meaning 2012/6/30 16:31
I don't get it. If you were calling yourself Bah-gin-ya as a kid, and feel comfortable to be called Ben, why don't you let Japanese people call you Bah-gi-ni-a-san? Even Japanese know Ben is for boys.

Just let them call you Bah-gi-ni-a.
by jomonstrider rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese name with specific meaning 2012/7/6 04:49
Carrie: borrowed from "Carry me back to old Virginia." ;)

by Musashi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread